How do Apple refreshes work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lawlz, May 27, 2013.

1. lawlz macrumors newbie

Hey all, I am currently in the market for an Macbook Pro Retina 15 and was about to pull the trigger on a new base model for $2000 with my student discount until I started reading about a potential Haswell/June refresh during WWDC this year.

How do Apple refreshes work generally? Once a product line has been refreshed, does the base price remain the same as the product it replaced? For example, would my price for a refreshed base model rMBP 15 remain at $2000 or does Apple change pricing schemes with the refreshes?

Also, how much of a delay is there usually between Apple announcing a refresh and the product actually being available/shipped out to consumers?

2. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Wait for the refresh wether is a huge upgrade or not. After it comes out, you might regret it and create a thread about how you should've waited.

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Most often laptops/desktops are available immediately, or a few days after announcement, although supplies are often constrained at first. The considerable delays in fulfilling the orders for 27" iMacs at the end of last year is an exception.

Refreshes usually come in at the same price points as their predecessors (occasionally less).

Having said all of the above - no one on this forum can give you any guarantees or absolutely certain info about release dates, pricing or availability. However, if you can wait, if might be worth it, as the MR buyers' guide suggests: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

4. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

I can guarantee you that an update will come and you will want it more than the current. I can also guarantee you that supplies will be slightly constrained at first.

5. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

You have two weeks to wait. You would be foolish to not see what Apple does in two weeks.

Things we are pretty certain about:

New CPU
    New GPU
    New Wifi

The MBPr is a 1st gen Apple product. Given that, they will take what they have learned and make changes for the 2nd gen MBPr. Will they be big? Probably not, but the changes they will make will only make it a better product.

Waiting two weeks to see what a 2nd gen MBPr has is in your best interest.

-P

6. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Just to clarify -- we're not sure if we'll see a MacBook Pro refresh in 2 weeks. Inventory constraints suggest a MacBook Air announcement instead.

While it won't hurt to wait these 2 weeks, don't be disappointed if you don't hear specifically about the MacBook Pro. You might be waiting a little longer than that.

Hope I'm wrong, though.

7. n0id macrumors member

Macbook pro's w/ retina on the apple refurb store just dropped over the weekend. I think its a good bet we'll see an announcement on upgrades during wwdc:

last week: 2.3ghz, 8gb, 256gb = $1679.00 (20%, $420 off)
    Now: $1599.00 (23%, $500 off)

8. Bear macrumors G3

I agree that you never know when Apple will announce something, there is a decent chance Apple will announce updates to MacBook Airs and Pros at the same time.