How do Apple TV Apps update?

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by CBlakeston, Nov 19, 2015.

1. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

I've noticed a few apps get the blue dot next to them letting me know they've been updated. This is confirmed by looking at the app on the App Store and seeing the date of the latest version. But it seems to happen entirely automatically. I've never seen an updates tab in the App Store.

It's not something I've seen mentioned in any review. Anyone know anything about it?

2. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

3. CBlakeston thread starter macrumors 6502

Other then firmware updates set to auto there is nothing in settings to mention apps?

4. brian017 macrumors regular

Look again. Settings>Apps>Automatically update apps>On

5. CBlakeston thread starter macrumors 6502

Apologies. You're correct. I guess i expected it to be like my iPhone or iPad. I have auto update turned on there too but often manually trigger apps updating. If for example a new build of a game comes out and I don't want to wait for the auto update to trigger.

6. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

My question is how do I update a app manually? Like I see on the web an app has been updated from a news site and my ATV has not updated yet, anyway to force the update cause I WANT IT NOW! :)

7. CBlakeston thread starter macrumors 6502

Seconded :)

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Go to the App Store, Purchased Tab, select the app, if there's an update available it'll allow you to install it.

9. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

Some apps will do something called "remote update". Not sure what it means. You quit the app and reopen it and it updates.

10. CBlakeston thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I just noticed there's a recently updated apps section in the purchased tab.