How do apple verify student discount over the phone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by John hayman, Aug 25, 2011.

1. John hayman macrumors newbie

Title says it all, ordering a MBA soon, can you let me know if I need any special codes or cards? Thanks
    John

2. coopiklaani macrumors member

coopiklaani

NO, you can't. Apple verify it by checking your ip address not by using codes or email addresses.

But you can use VPN to work around it. This was what I did when I got my AIR :rolleyes:

3. gazzrenn macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

You can also do it by emailing a scan of your acceptance letter to your sales rep. You can't just do it over the phone.

4. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Before now I've ordered over the phone, you just tell them what uni / college or whatever you attend and they apply that institutions discount. It's a lucky dip if afterwards if they request confirmation, but more often don't.

If you order online though, yes you have to be in your campus.

Edit: this is my UK experience anyway

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Don't know about phone specifically, but US Online store doesn't require you to be on the campus. You can just find your school HERE and it will let you do it all online.

6. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL what? 6 years of college, under grad and grad school and many orders through Apple online and none of them were completed while on campus. That is just ********.

In store they wanted ID. Online I was verified once and that was when I ordered my MacPro. Otherwise, they never seemed to care and therefore, people will abuse it as frequently as possible.

8. jcg878 macrumors member

I am a faculty member and qualify for the discount with no runaround. That being said, I've never been asked to prove that except at the Apple Store. Online they just ask for the institution, and I pick mine from a list. That's it. My Apple ID that I order with is a gmail account, so that's not it.

Adobe has academic reseller jump through hoops to ensure your legitimacy.  doesn't seem to care.

9. Brandon0448 macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

I ordered mine online from my bedroom and I got the student discount. I just had to put in what school I was going to, no questions asked.

10. Sniv macrumors member

I had to send them a picture of my student card.

11. qwerf123 macrumors regular

They probably don't care due to the premiums they put on most things.

12. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

13. qwerf123 macrumors regular

I see this thread spinning off :cool:

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

It seems like a random check ... some just have to name the school ... others need to send proof

15. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Apple does no verification online. You do not need to be ordering from a campus IP address. The only time you need proof is when buying at a store. Proof = class schedule/acceptance letter/student ID card/etc.

Something with your name and school on it.

16. n1tut macrumors regular

Same here in the UK. Bought it over the phone, was asked to e-mail a copy of my student card, forgot about it but never heard anything. Checked and I have a three year warranty.

tut