Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John hayman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Title says it all, ordering a MBA soon, can you let me know if I need any special codes or cards? Thanks
John

coopiklaani

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
UK
NO, you can't. Apple verify it by checking your ip address not by using codes or email addresses.

But you can use VPN to work around it. This was what I did when I got my AIR :rolleyes:

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Before now I've ordered over the phone, you just tell them what uni / college or whatever you attend and they apply that institutions discount. It's a lucky dip if afterwards if they request confirmation, but more often don't.

If you order online though, yes you have to be in your campus.

Edit: this is my UK experience anyway

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Don't know about phone specifically, but US Online store doesn't require you to be on the campus. You can just find your school HERE and it will let you do it all online.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
NO, you can't. Apple verify it by checking your ip address not by using codes or email addresses.

But you can use VPN to work around it. This was what I did when I got my AIR :rolleyes:

LOL what? 6 years of college, under grad and grad school and many orders through Apple online and none of them were completed while on campus. That is just ********.

In store they wanted ID. Online I was verified once and that was when I ordered my MacPro. Otherwise, they never seemed to care and therefore, people will abuse it as frequently as possible.

jcg878

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
I am a faculty member and qualify for the discount with no runaround. That being said, I've never been asked to prove that except at the Apple Store. Online they just ask for the institution, and I pick mine from a list. That's it. My Apple ID that I order with is a gmail account, so that's not it.

Adobe has academic reseller jump through hoops to ensure your legitimacy.  doesn't seem to care.

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
UK
I am a faculty member and qualify for the discount with no runaround. That being said, I've never been asked to prove that except at the Apple Store. Online they just ask for the institution, and I pick mine from a list. That's it. My Apple ID that I order with is a gmail account, so that's not it.

Adobe has academic reseller jump through hoops to ensure your legitimacy.  doesn't seem to care.

They probably don't care due to the premiums they put on most things.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Apple does no verification online. You do not need to be ordering from a campus IP address. The only time you need proof is when buying at a store. Proof = class schedule/acceptance letter/student ID card/etc.

Something with your name and school on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.