• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Just stated using Waze as my navigation app (gave my daughter my Garmin). So far i like this app a lot, but how can ones like this be free, so far i have seen no adds

ipsychedelic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Philanthropy? :p

It beats me too.

Maybe the're looking to expand their base so they can charge IAPs in the future or release new priced apps?

Comment

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Not sure i follow, even if they get 10 million instals, if it is free so how does that help.

It's a (I guess not-so-well-known) joke.

If you look at their website, you'll see that they offer advertising partnerships to businesses.

Regards,
Tom

Comment

ipsychedelic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
So that's why, interesting.

Momma always says there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Comment

qubeofwar

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
You're probably getting it ad free for now, but soon enough those ads will pop out. they could also be selling location and driving trends to advertisers. Seems like a lot of money goes into advertising

Comment

redman042

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2008
These guys are taking the Facebook approach.

Make it great, offer it for free with no ads, build a huge user base, and THEN start to monetize it. Once they have a lot of active users, advertising and the sale of data is worth so much more.

Comment

moldy912

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2012
Selling location/traffic/etc data to third parties?

That's what I was thinking. If the service is free, then you are the product, whether you know it as blatantly oblivious advertising, or selling of personal information and subtle advertising.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.