How do background processes run without showing up in the Activity Monitor?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 0dev, Jun 8, 2011.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I've been running Little Snitch today (a great app for us paranoid types ;)) and I got a pop-up saying Google Updater wanted to connect to a Google server. I did some research and found out that it's a background OS X process. Fair enough, but thing is, it isn't showing up in Activity Monitor at all.

So, here's my non-app-specific question: how can a program run in the background on my Mac without even showing up in Activity Monitor?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Are you showing "All Processes" or just "My Proccesses"?

3. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

4. Tyr. macrumors member

It can't, it runs periodically and for very short periods and you probably just missed in the process list. You can remove it BTW.

5. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Ahh, that makes sense. So what controls which apps are running periodically on my Mac then? launchd?

I know I can remove it but next time I use Chrome or something it'll only get reinstalled anyway.

6. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Launchd controls it all. You can check what's running by entering "launchd list" in the terminal. "launchd stop job-name" will kill a job. "launchd unload job-name" will remove the specified job from starting up automatically. Be careful, if you unload an important job, you could cause yourself a lot of problems.

7. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Entering "launchd list" in the Terminal just tells me "This program is not meant to be run directly."

8. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Use launchctl instead of launchd

9. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Right, I did that and found com.google.keystone.user.agent listed. A bit of Googling told me this was indeed the Google Updater and that deleting the LaunchDaemon stops it from running itself, so I just removed its respective plist file from ~/Library/LaunchDaemons.

Should be all sorted now hopefully, let's just wait and see if Google put it back at any point.