How do can i copy files onto my shared hard drive on my windows pc?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaywongy, Jul 10, 2009.

1. jaywongy macrumors member

jaywongy

I have shared me external hard drive in the System Preferences, but when I try to copy something from my windows pc on it I can't copy. I can read all the files but just can't put stuff on it. It says I don't have the rights to that. I have found that when I try to let me external be read & write by everyone in the system preferences on my mac I can not change it!! Any Help anyone? :confused:

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

welcome!!

umm so let me get this straight, you are sharing a hard drive (what format is it) from your mac and connecting to it from your PC??

do you have SMB sharing turned on on the mac in system preferences??

are you connecting with the correct credentials from the PC (i.e. with the admin account from your mac, or with an account that has read/write permissions that you have assigned in the sharing preferences)?

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Is the external drive formatted NTFS? Macs can read NTFS, but not write to it. To write to ntfs you need a utility like ntfs-3g I believe it's called. YOu can search the forums for something like "osx ntfs". OOPS.. scratch that. I didn't realize you were on a network. I was thinking of an external drive switched between systems. sorry.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea i was gonna say that, but realsied he is going the other way (mac to PC). i think the user he is connecting with doesnt have enough credentials.. maybe

5. Jelite macrumors 6502a

Have you ticked the box "Allow network users to change my files" on the windows drive?

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

what about setting the privileges correctly??

Attached Files:

7. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

Thanks to those who helped, got it working by downloading the ntfs-3g program! Already had SMB sharing on thats why I was so confused! Anyway thanks again for helping me. ;)

8. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

Sorry for the slow reply haven't been on the website in a while and been busy.:)