How do (civil) engineers use their MacBook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GadgetAddict, Jul 14, 2010.

1. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

As all engineers know, we can't completely switch to Mac OS no matter how much we want it since almost all design and analysis programs run on Windows only. So how do you get along with this? What system/configuration do you use?

Personally, when I decided to switch from PC to Mac, I started with a mid 09 17" MacBook Pro with the intention to use it as my main computer. With 4gb RAM, running AutoCAD on Parallels was out of the picture. Yes it was working but so laggy that was so annoying! So I installed Windows on Bootcamp and run all the design software from there. But again things were not perfect. Battery life dropped from 7 to 3 hours max and the MacBook got so hot that it was uncomfortable to have your hands on it. I ended up selling the MacBook and got a very good HP desktop (Quad core, 8gb RAM, 1gb graphics) and a used MacBook Air. The idea was to do all work at home and have the Air for light use on the road.
    Now a new project has come up and I will need to carry a laptop that can run Revit and eTabs. I don't know what to do. I reeeaaally like MacBook Pros (Mac OS in general) but my previous experience running Windows on them was not good at all.
    Does anyone have experience running Windows 3D applications on a high-end Mac? How would such applications work on an i7 - 8Gb RAM - SSD MacBook Pro on Parallels or Bootcamp?

Sorry for the long post....

2. Tsquare macrumors member

I use my stock (2.53 i5, 4gb ram, 500 5400 rpm hdd) 15" with bootcamp. I can run Revit without any trouble.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

My brother is an architect and they are mostly using ToughBooks. I've had two first-gen Airs and I just cannot imagine that in what circumstances - even with an SSD and better graphics - they can be used for engineering purposes.

If you use Cad, I think it's a better idea to stick with a plastic, Windows-based PC, probably with i5 or a strong C2D. Also, if you get any dirt in the machine, they tend to be easier to clean. You can still buy a Mac desktop and have Parallels, Fusion on it or just run Windows on Bootcamp, although I don't see the point of buying a Mac with glossy screen and use it for Windows with engineering applications.