Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
I was wondering if anyone with a current generation iMac and a TBS could talk about how sound from the computer compares with sound from Thunderbolt speakers. I’m just curious to know.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
I was wondering if anyone with a current generation iMac and a TBS could talk about how sound from the computer compares with sound from Thunderbolt speakers. I’m just curious to know.

The TB Display speakers are better. They're larger and much better across mid range. The tiny sub helps too. Had 2 for a time and now have the new iMac that replaced the same sized 27.
The late 2012 sounds a little better than the previous model. None of them are close to real speakers (ear of the beholder)

Should be interesting to see what happens if/when Apple copies the iMac case for the new TB. It might kill one of the nice features of the current model, but you never know. They might surprise us with something interesting.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
The TB Display speakers are better. They're larger and much better across mid range. The tiny sub helps too. Had 2 for a time and now have the new iMac that replaced the same sized 27.
The late 2012 sounds a little better than the previous model. None of them are close to real speakers (ear of the beholder)

Should be interesting to see what happens if/when Apple copies the iMac case for the new TB. It might kill one of the nice features of the current model, but you never know. They might surprise us with something interesting.

Thanks for responding. I was also wondering what would happen if Apple were to introduce a new TBD. I really enjoy the sound quality on the current model and I think it's already quite thin. And maybe it's just me, but I don't see a significant decrease in speed when transferring files from my 2013 Air's to an external USB 3.0 hard drive using one of the laptop's USB ports vs. using the TBD's USB ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.