How do Droid tablets compare?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Airforcekid, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

They are selling for around $150 with 512mb of ram hdmi out 720p resolution and os 2.1. I've never used one I have to imagine them being slow but for the price is it worth getting one over an iPad?

2. VTMac macrumors 6502

The only droid tab worth considering today is the Samsung Galaxy.

The others are worthless. Totally and completely worthless.

3. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I messed around with a Galaxy Tab in Best Buy; not really impressed at all. Screen was small, Apps were meh. Response time was so-so too; meaning moving screen to screen, starting Apps, etc.

DELL Streak is nothing more than a giant phone to me; a 5" screen Smartphone. Again, it was okay, but I don't get it really.

In the end, I think the iPad is far more polished.

4. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Lol. Bad place to post this. You would really have to just try it your self. The only real definite negative for android would be that the market lacks a little.

5. jevel macrumors regular

And that there are very few android based tablets with higher resolution than your average smartphone.

Add the lack of high res apps to that, and IMO the android tablets are far behind the iPad. (For now, that is.)

-KJ

6. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Wait until Honeycomb comes out. Then the competition will begin.

7. gatearray macrumors 65816

I heard that the real competition will start when Cheerios or possibly Apple Jacks comes out. :)

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Actually, the Galaxy Tab wasn't as bad as I thought it would be--the hardware was great--and I really liked the size. However, Froyo just doesn't work well on a tablet and the no-contract price is laughable. This is a device for Android fanboys who will buy anything that's not Apple so that they can feel superior.

I'll check back in a year when the hardware is at a reasonable price and there is an OS that is actually designed for a tablet. Currently, there is nothing that compares to the iPad's functionality for the price.

9. koollectablz macrumors 6502

I tried a Galaxy tab at the weekend and whilst it is hugely over priced ATM, £479!, its def the best android tablet out there so far.

Direct comparisons with the ipad show it to be marginally slower - not as smooth and quite a lot thicker than you'd think. Though it is a lot lighter in hand.

The books app sux, though browser was pretty good with good flash playback (tried it on the bbc website). Cameras were ok but of limited use. Can be used as a phone as well.

What I thought would be the biggest downer, the size, didn't really register. Screen itself was bright but not as nice to the eye as the ipad.

Overall I would get one - but it needs to come down in price dramatically, pricing it pretty much on a par with the iPad is ridiculous, if you have to pay the same amount for both then buying an iPad is a no brainer.

Once the UI is sorted then if this is a first stab its a pretty good one.

Its a nice device, but its not an iPad. Its a £249 (max) machine.

10. PhazonUK, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

PhazonUK macrumors 6502

As somebody else said, the only Android tablet even worth talking about is the Galaxy Tab. From what I've read (mostly Engadget) the majority of Android tabs don't even have the marketplace so I assume (NEVER used Android) that you are stuck with the stock apps. Also, most have resistive screens from what I hear.

As for the Galaxy Tab...
    Personally I think 7" would be too small. But, it is easily the best Android tablet I've seen. Decent res (for a 7" screen), capacitive touchscreen, front and rear cameras (none on the iPad), and has access to the Android Marketplace.

However, the iPad is still the best tablet in my opinion, but then again I own one so of course I'm going to say that :p

EDIT: Kind of off topic, but what I find hilarious is that Apple has pretty much created the consumer Tablet market. The closest thing to the iPad before it was the netbook, but even that was totally different. Then the iPad came out and it was huge. It's coming up to a year of the iPad being announced and so far there is only 1 other tablet that is anywhere near contending with it, the Samsung Galaxy Tab. And even that isn't really threatening it. 7" Tablet at a higher price than an Apple 10" tablet.

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Why are you mentioning Honeycomb when Gingerbread isn't even released?

12. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Had a play with a couple of tablets in a London electronics store today.

Galaxy Tab looked quite nice, if small and more expensive than the iPad - but was dreadfully unresponsive when switching to the browser.

There was a Toshiba £999 10" too - with abysmal build quality. Felt flimsier than a Kindle with buttons like a knock-off MP3 player.

There were nice snazzy animated backgrounds to snag the chavs who are distracted by glitter, but nothing seemed to offer anything like the quality of the iPad at anything like the price.

13. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

I think Google have said that android is not ready for tablet use. They recommended manufacturers wait till next year when they will release new software.

Your basically using a phone UI scaled up and not always suitable for the bigger screen. Probably one of the reasons so many are only 7inches.

14. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

I find it appalling that Cinnamon Toast Crunch is never mentioned when tablets are brought up! damn you all!

15. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

Gingerbread is not built for tablets either, Honeycomb is the only version of the OS that is built with tabs in mind

16. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Notion Ink's Adam is going to be awesome. I hope it gets released soon.