How do eBay sellers do this with Mac OS X Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aj2008, Jul 2, 2008.

1. aj2008 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I just have a quick question. How do eBay sellers sell iMacs with 128MB of ram that ship with Tiger? I thought you needed 256mb of ram to run Tiger. I wanted to get my little niece who is 10 a computer for her birthday and I wanted to know if I buy one of these would it even run? I'm going to upgrade the ram eventually but she just plays games onlines and also uses aim to keep in contact with her friends. I can't believe that; a 10 year old using aim. That makes me feel ancient.

2. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

yes i know what your talking about and + they dont have firewire which is another requirement for tiger 256mb ram usb, and built in firewire i tried installing on another computer and putting it in my imac and it didnt work so i dont think u should try one of those find one thats atleast 400mhz (firewire) and 256mb ram with tiger... maybe buy one with a bigger hd cause u need atleast a 10gb to install tiger on but will rather have not alot of space maybe find one with a 30gb or 40gb so she'll have space to do some stuff on...

3. aj2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

It has 500mhz but only 128mb of ram. It does have a 10gb hard drive also.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If the machine doesn't come with an original, retail OSX Tiger DVD, then it is pirated -- as machines of that era were never shipped with Tiger.

5. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Ok yea it can run it then so it has firewire they must have forced the os on it using target mode which is normal but will run slow as a ************ and may not have alot of space

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

?? Just because you can install doesn't mean you are allowed to.

The Tiger license is good for installation on one machine only. To put it onto another machine and sell it without including the DVD is by definition piracy -- selling commercial software without a legal license.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

On a side note... you mess with the (Canada)RAM, you are likely to get the horns.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Doesn't much matter what your opinion is... Installing on a second computer is prohibited by the license agreement -- regardless whether you think they care or can tell.

As would be selling one installation out of a family pack which are licensed for use within the same household only.

Anyway, keep on with your attitude and we'll have mandatory Apple OS activation online, 20 digit serial codes, and "Apple Genuine Software Authentication" programs just like Windows, more sooner than later.

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's well established that this is piracy. It's also well established that the vast majority of purchasers don't care. So what exactly is there left to argue about here?

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Well said.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To contribute to the non-utter-waste-of-time portion of the conversation... :D

http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/

This software is popularly used to bypass the hardware requirements checks when you want to run OS X on unsupported (but still Apple) hardware. It's useful more in situations where processor speed or FW ports are the issue but RAM is plentiful e.g. Tiger will run quite well on a slower computer with lots of RAM -- probably better in most respects than a very fast computer with 256MB of RAM.

And sigh, now, time to get out the street sweeper. :eek: