How do exchanged work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HotFieryTech, Mar 2, 2011.

1. HotFieryTech macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello. Just so you know this is a different question than the other thread about exchanges. I always see people posting that they exchanged their old MBP for a new one with some extra cash. I was wondering how this works, because if a new MBP comes out next year that is worth upgrading to, I might want to do something like that. I currently have the 2011 model.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

With "need" you meant "new"?
    Anyway, Apple offers a 14-day return policy and is lenient on the policy if a new Mac has been released, thus you can usually exchange an "older" MB you bought within the last 30 days of a new MB release with the "newer" updated MB. You can't exchange an MB for an MBP, you need to pay the difference. But I somehow have the feeling, that you want to exchange your current Mac with another not released Mac yet. Is that right? If so, Apple usually does not do this, especially since the next update will not happen before autumn or winter.

3. HotFieryTech thread starter macrumors member

I'm asking if it's possible to trade in a year old MacBook pro for a new one with extra cash.

4. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

No it's not but you can sell it and buy a new one when they come out.

5. simsaladimbamba

Ah, that's less convoluted I guess.

And you can't do that with Apple, why would they do it in the first place, they wouldn't make as much money as they do and they are no charity. This planet is mostly capitalistic, you may need to find another one if you expect such behaviour.