Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I recently purchased an iMac on craigslist and set it all up with the apps I've downloaded from the App Store. This got me thinking.

How do larger families with multiple Macs manager App Store purchases? Does everyone have their own Apple IDs and for big software purchases share Mom's or Dad's? Is there a "family Apple ID?"

I kind of have the same question for iTunes but a $.79 song doesn't bother me as much as a $79 App. It'd be nice to have a family ID but how would that effect iCloud and iOS devices? For me, I'd like to keep all my iOS stuff separate from everyone else's.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
We all share one apple ID to keep costs down on app store and iTunes. When I get my first iMac we will do the same. That way when I buy my daughter a MacBook Air in a few years time we don't need to buy all that software twice.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
My family also shares single Apple ID for purchases (Mac App Store and iTunes Store on Macs; App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes on iPhones and iPads). We course, use different Apple ID for iCloud.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
So let's say two Mac users get married.

Can you sign on to the App Store with the other's ID to download the apps they've purchased? I'm guessing this would still be allowed since it's in the same family and household.

I think I started thinking of this because as I was looking to purchase an iMac, I noticed a lot on craigslist were including Lion. Sounds great, but no discs were included and if I wanted to wipe the hard drive I wouldn't have an OS.

I know they shouldn't sell it that way, but let's say someone did, and the purchaser wanted to buy apps from the App Store. Could they log in with their own Apple ID or would they need to use the seller's?

I think I need to get married so we can sit around and try this stuff out.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I know they shouldn't sell it that way, but let's say someone did, and the purchaser wanted to buy apps from the App Store. Could they log in with their own Apple ID or would they need to use the seller's?
Well, if the seller is willing to share his or her Apple ID and password, yes. I strongly doubt a stranger would share their password (which can then be used to purchase new apps), however.

Between spouses, however, sharing such info is probably not a big deal. The caveat is that using MULTIPLE Apple IDs for purchases doesn't work very well. There has been talks that Apple may allow merging of multiple Apple IDs in the future, but that may require giving up one account for the sake of another (or become an alias of one).

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
you can download on wife, children, friend, etc the app from your ID directly in their device, you would sign out of the persons ID and sign in w/ yours download the app and then log out. When you want to update that app, the app store will ask you for the specific ID password again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.