How do Ghz work?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iDerion, Dec 16, 2010.

1. iDerion macrumors newbie

Hey! uhm i feel stupid... But is 2.16 Ghz better then 2.4? Becuase Apple updated 2.1 Ghz to 2.16 once. But then updated 2.26 Ghz to 2.4 so im confused:confused:

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Basically, cpu's aren't the bottleneck anymore. Hard drive speed among other things is what's slowing computers down. That's why when you upgrade to an SSD (solid state drive) the computer performance takes a leap forward.

Also, adding more cores speeds the computation power up even though the actual clock speed may be slower. Just think about it like a super fast worker working on an assembly line isn't going to be as fast as two/four normal workers.

Measuring speed by MHz was never a really good idea and it's gotten worse with current technology.

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Extra cores do give you more of a boost than an increase in Ghz, but I also think you are reading those numbers wrong. When dealing with decimals, add zeros so that both numbers have the same amount of digits past the decimal. 2.26 Ghz is slower than 2.40Ghz just like 2.16Ghz is faster than 2.10Ghz. After the decimal point, the zeros are just "understood" to be there.

4. iDerion thread starter macrumors newbie

OH OK! Thanks! Now it makes sense! Lol i feel like i shouldn't be in the 9th grade.

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

LOL IIRC I think I was in about the 9th grade when my school taught that...Of course I went to a VERY small town school.

6. iDerion thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha. I live in the suburbs.. Maybe i was absent? Lol. Who knows:p