How do HD movies look on a 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacChinoNyc, Dec 12, 2011.

1. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

I'm contemplating buying a 13" MBP latest model and wondering how Netflix or even veetle look on this laptop. I like watching videos alot be it streaming or downloaded. I dont edit yet.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

they look pretty good. The resolution is not as good as it could be but it is till quite enjoyable.

3. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what worries me ,the resolution as it not being true hd.

4. stefmesman macrumors 6502

currently only the 17'' is full hd. but if you want to watch hd movies right. watch them on a suitable television and not on a laptop.

5. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

So according to you this is not the laptop I am looking for.

6. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

Yup. I have a 13" and I plug it to my TV whenever I want to watch a movie.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yeah you might be disappointed in the screen if you set your expecations high, i have the 15" 1440x900 and its great but still not amazing

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I corrected your statement, as 720p is also full HD.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

The 13" MBP will display 720p fully, not 1080, though on that size of a screen, you'd be very hard pressed to find the difference.

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

true but if the original movie is bad quality it will look bad no matter 720p or 1080p.

11. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

If you want a higher resolution get the macbook air. The resolution on the 13" air is the same as a 15" macbook pro and an 11" has the same resolution as the 13" pro

12. MacChinoNyc, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought about the air as well having a better resolution but from what I read the display is crisper on the mpb. Also not sure how I'd do without an optical drive. I'd be happy with watching streams clearly, they dont have to be hd all the time.

Oh yea and let me add portability. Thats the main reason Im looking for a smaller laptop from my big brick of a sony vaio machine which works good might I add but pretty heavy to carry everywhere.

13. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

well actually the 13 inch pro has a res of 1280 by 800. The 11 inch air has 1366 by 768.

But for the OP's original question, 720p vids can be played on the 13 pro very nicely.

14. warvanov macrumors 6502a

The MBP fully supports 720p, which is true HD, it's just not 1080p.

I don't think you'll be disappointed by the screen on the MBP. Sure, it doesn't display 1080p, but on such a small screen I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. If you're that picky about the display I think you'd be watching movies on a larger TV.

15. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

The MacBook Pro "13 does movies just fine, you don't nee full HD on a mobile media center .. i've used my Pro for movies loads of time in train bus and it works great, no problem there. If you want full HD it's 17"... currently i have a 15" and i went to IKEA today to get some food and watched Transformers 3 and it worked pretty darn good!

Go for 13 if you need it for portability and movies.

16. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

On a 13" screen I don't think anyone can tell the difference between 1080p and 720p unless they're side by side.

17. idunn macrumors 6502

Screen not the issue

The bigger question is portability, as video can look great on a 13" 1280 x 800 screen.

There is also the issue of whether even 17" of real estate will satisfy. 13" is perfectly fine when sitting close, although for some nothing less than 55" of HDTV will be adequate. So know your preferences. Aside from that, the greater issue is what type of media you are watching.

Apple might get around to offering HD fare in 1080p some day, but for now their idea of HD is limited to 720p. Which, by the way, will look fantastic on your MacBook Pro. Regular SD television and movies can look rather good, but is highly dependent upon the individual source. Some SD movies from iTunes can seem nearly HD in quality, more usually okay, and sometimes just this side of awful and unwatchable. I'll cite one example, 'Sleep Hollow,' that unless they've revised it was delivered in distinctly lower resolution than if purchased on DVD.

Streaming is another matter. The screen of your MacBook Pro will not be the limiting factor. That on offer covers the spectrum from in appearance nearly HD to something you may not be sure you want to bother with. Amazon Video on Demand generally does a good job, but as far as I know their HD version of content is only available through such devices as Roku or newer HDTVs with this software offering. So with them expect something decent for your money, but a presentation possibly not as clear as that often the case for free from PBS. Hulu does a fairly decent job with streaming, and a good benchmark. But again, only in SD, and as far as I know nothing from anyone is in HD if strictly streaming to a computer. CBS is worth mentioning for their lamentable online presence. A fine selection of programming, but good luck enjoying the experience. Their commercial breaks can often leave one stuck in indefinite limbo, and what was once notably good resolution having since been downsized to indifferent.

In short, it will be what you watch rather than your MacBook Pro causing any issues with your cinema experience. But if at all keen on portability, then seriously consider a MacBook Air, or just maybe the next iteration of the MacBook Pro in 2012.

18. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

I've watched some movies on disc, a lot of netflix, hulu, and iTunes and they are great. i don't say, oh i wish this was 1080p

19. aCondor macrumors 6502

20. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, Netflix does offer hd streaming to computers depending on your online connection. As long as you have a good connection and the stream is avaliable in HD then they will push it to your computer.