How do I access shared folders and optical drives between OSX & Vista?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pgharavi, May 13, 2008.

1. pgharavi macrumors regular

pgharavi

Hello,

Apologies if this question is plain stupid but I've tried for a while now to no avail. I have a MBA and I would like to access a Vista box w/in the same home network. So of course I set up folders to share as well as the DVD-RW drive on the Vista box, and on my MBA I've turned on File Sharing. But here's the problem:

I can see my MBA from the Vista machine, but NOT vice-versa. I cannot figure out how, w/in Finder, to access the shared folders or optical drive on the Vista box.

I figured it would simply 'show up' but they don't. Roxio Toast cannot find the shared recorder either. Oddly enough, I was able to use the MBA's "remote disc" to access that drive to copy file, but obviously that is all it can do.

I feel like I am missing something plainly obvious.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Try this...

Go to>>Go>connect to server type in smb:// ip address of vista machine.(no spaces) IE smb://123.456.34.234

See if it connects and prompts you to select which folders you want to see.

3. jcs1088 macrumors regular

Before you do the above steps you might need to configure your vista machine to allow your mac to access folders on it. I had to do that on my mom's XP machine before I could share files with it.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Also, see if you can ping the vista machine from the Mac machine.

Make sure you have a user name and password for the account.

Let us know if any of this worked for you.