iPhone 5 or earlier How do I activate my original iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ip18, Aug 16, 2019.

1. ip18, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019

ip18 macrumors newbie

I recently got an original iPhone but I can’t activate it as it is locked to AT&T. I can’t get an AT&T sim because I’m in the UK, and I don’t want to jailbreak it as it is a rare model. Is there a way to unlock it without a jailbreak or another way of activating it?

Additional details:

Model: MB340B/A
    Serial: 7R734***VR0
    Capacity: 4GB

2. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

If your going to use it, then just jailbreak it. It is a rare model, for nostalgic reasons, but as a device it’s not something I’d personally want to rely on. No storage, poor battery life, majority of apps won’t work either.

3. ip18 thread starter macrumors newbie

It’s rare because it is an Apple Store demo model, so I would rather not jailbreak it unless there is no other option

4. now i see it macrumors 68040

I'm not sure it will work on today's cellular networks even if you did have a functioning sim.

5. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

I’d just keep it in a box all original then personally, if it’s to use like I said, there’s not much point.

6. rui no onna macrumors 604

rui no onna

Buy a used AT&T Micro SIM card for iPhone activation on ebay.

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I'm not sure why jailbreaking is being brought up here.

Do both of you know a method whereby jailbreaking is going to allow the activation of this device? Or is because by jailbreaking it there is an assumption that it can be unlocked?

I've been jailbreaking since iOS 5, but I'm not aware of much that came before. I do know that software unlocks via jailbreaking died in 2011. Lots of people try to jailbreak because they think they can get their newer iPhone unlocked that way (you can't).

However, I'm uncertain if software unlocks still work for older iPhones, which is why I'm asking this question.

I'd hate for you to go through the process of jailbreaking the device only to find out that the death of software unlocks in 2011 also included older iPhones.

8. ip18 thread starter macrumors newbie

I read that you can use redsn0w to install an ipsw file and bypass the "Connect to iTunes" screen and have the phone set up. You can then use the same program to unlock the phone (I'm guessing you have to use older softwares for it to work).

9. 960design macrumors 68030

4G is indeed rare!
    I still have my original iPhone in original box ( opened ) with 8G and the sale receipt on the day the iPhones were released. No lines back then. My daughter wanted me to give to her in my will, in case I die. She is such a loving daughter.

10. ip18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine is brand new but without a box, and it's even rarer because it's a UK demo model (the phones used in Apple stores). I bought mine off eBay so don't know the origin or background, but you can read more about it here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-is-the-rarest-iphone.1585277/ (Salvarth's post).

You can see the differences here (UK version is on the right):

Screenshot 2019-08-17 at 08.14.28.png
    (Photo credit: GoldeneyeApple)

Wow, it's unusual to have an original box and a sales receipt from the release date! Early models are becoming harder to find (there is only one on UK eBay), and an original box is even better.

11. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

It’s a UK Apple Store demo model but it’s locked to AT&T?

What proof did the eBay seller give you of the provenance of the phone?

12. ip18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not much, however the s/n and IMEI both match the cover. Apple told me the phone was locked to AT&T, so I’m guessing they’re correct. The only idea I have is that the phone was for some reason activated in the US, but I doubt it. The seller bought it from a car boot sale and they didn’t know the network.

13. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

UK Apple store demo model can't be locked to AT&T. SO, what you are trying to do is illegal and no yailbreak can help you. Period.

14. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

That suggests you bought an AT&T iPhone and a tale about a rare Apple UK demo model.

15. ip18 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did some more research and found that there is also a German version of this phone (MB342D/A). Do you think it might be locked to T-Mobile?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 17, 2019 ---
    Illegal?

16. chrfr macrumors 604

A European phone is certainly not locked to a US cell provider, so T-Mobile would seem much more likely.

17. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

18. ip18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think Apple might be wrong then?

19. ip18 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I were to somehow get hold of an AT&T or T-Mobile sim, would it work? If not, then is there a way to set up the phone but not activate it?
    I’m not sure why Apple said it is locked to AT&T as Apple never made 4GB phones with European CE labels except as demos for the UK (O2 network) and Germany (T-Mobile network).

20. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I have no idea, I would start by spending the 99p for the report just for confirmation. if it was me.

21. ip18 thread starter macrumors newbie

If it was locked to AT&T/T-Mobile, could I insert an AT&T/T-Mobile sim to make it work?

22. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

AIUI, yes, there are AT&T activation sims on eBay, for under £10.

23. 960design macrumors 68030

I even bought the silly bluetooth headset thingy that really never worked that well.
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully you get the full story figured out on yours. Good luck!

24. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

My OG iPhone was locked to O2 (UK) and unlocked just fine with an expired AT&T SIM (US).

25. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I have an original iPhone and mine is jail broken and it made the phone a lot better in my opinion. I agree with ya.