Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whataguybri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I opened my easy access G4 and found a second drive space right on top of my existing one there is power cord and another attachment on the ribbon cable for the second drive.... well hooking that all up leaves me with an unbootable machine and I'm missing something maybe termination? I want to keep both drives the new one is 500G (WD Caviar SE16 WD500AAKB 500GB Hard Drive (EIDE 100, 7200 RPM, 16MB)I called WD to confirm this would work in my G4

The existing is only a 120G and I wanted to use that one for itunes... And the new 500G for the main drive.

what do I need to do to make this dream work?
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Brian

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Check the boot priority pins on the back. Your boot drive should be set to "Master," and the secondary drive to "Slave."

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Check the boot priority pins on the back. Your boot drive should be set to "Master," and the secondary drive to "Slave."
Actually, :D the drive on the end of the cable should be set as the "master" and the one connected to the middle connector as the "slave." Either can be selected as the boot drive (assuming they both have an OS installed). Apple says the pins should be set to "Cable select" which will automatically set the drive at the end of the cable to master and the drive at the middle connector to "slave". I have found either method will work (only tested on one machine), as long as you use all cable select or the master/slave systems, don't mix them. As said above, check the pins on the drives to make sure they are set correctly, cable select, or master at the end of the cable, etc.
These pins are not "boot priority pins," per se ;), and they do not set the "boot" function, that is done in the OS X System Preferences pane, by clicking the Startup Disk icon (again, the OS must be installed first for the drive to appear in that pane). Rather these pins allow the system to distinguish between the drives when writing or reading data to the PATA drives attached by the cable to the motherboard. The pins refered to here are, in a sense, an ID setting. If you are using OS 9, there is a control panel for the boot drive selection (been so long I forgot it's name).
Post some info on the system you have installed.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
You can also set your both drives to CS (cable select) mode. Only remember to connect your desired boot drive at the end of the ribbon cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.