How do I add applications without having my old ones erased?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Yamcha, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Hi Guys,

I formatted my system a while back, so I'm using snow leopard now.. I want to add new applications to my ipod touch 16GB (2G).. When I try it says all my old files will be erased.. Is there a way I can avoid that? or is it possible to take all the applications on my ipod and copy it to my computer?

Hope someone can help, Id hate to start all over again =/

2. pilotrtc macrumors regular

The applications you purchased belong to your account. I'm sure if you log into iTunes with the same account, you would be able to sync them to your iPod. I don't know for sure.

3. Yamcha thread starter macrumors 68000

That sucks! I've never been a fan of itunes, I've had a Zune before and haven't encountered that issue.. Apple needs to do something about it imo.. I think at one point many people format or switch to new computers.. =/

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Go into iTunes and click Transfer Purchases under the iPod icon.

5. stab244 macrumors member

Or you could just download it directly to the iPT.

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It sounds like you set up a new library? Starting over and maybe didn't save the settings or move the library properly?

Something is causing your Touch to think this is a different computer you are syncing with.... each Touch can only sync with ONE computer - hence what you are seeing.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He formatted his hard drive.

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I had caught that - but doing a total wipe vs the archive and install thingy would have saved the library right? (it's been a LONG time since i've done it).

The point being, he is starting over without "his" library, and the Touch thinks it is all new - and doing what it should. It isn't something that Apple needs to fix - it's always been this way.

hopefully someone looking to upgrade will read this and stop and do the correct steps to save their existing library. And yes, i did make this same mistake back when i first got my Video iPod, i just never realized there was more to the process than moving just the music files. You kinda only do that once ;)