How do I add extra address lines in Contacts?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by steve23094, Jul 1, 2014.

1. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Hi,

How do I add extra address lines in Contacts under iOS 7.1.2?

I find two Street lines woefully inadequate.

Thanks.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

You can't. What kind of address requires more than two street lines? If you have one (probably rare) I suggest you put it in the Notes section.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Many residents/companies do have addresses that you wouldn't write out on just two address lines if you were labeling a box or an envelope. I've noticed it on some/most of my foreign contacts. Also, businesses in the US often have complicated addresses.

Unfortunately, I end up cramming the info onto the two lines.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

I guess I've never seen that. Please post an example.

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

Apple's Contacts apps (iOS and OS X) use CardDAV, which is quite flexible IMO for data input. And, keep in mind that if a contact has an Exchange-formatted "card" or an account is an Exchange IMAPI account, your options will be far different (and IMO quite constrained)...

CardDAV has two input "lines" for addresses, but also supports certain radix marks - such as the comma as a field delimiter. Don't think in terms of lines for CardDAV - think in terms of data fields. One can add a field for a "suite" or "office number" by adding a comma followed by the "#" character or "Ste." text string. In the OS X Contact app, the second "line" is effected by typing Option-Enter at the end of the first address "line".

There's lots of other types of input and field delimiters that can be used effectively in CardDAV apps, but I'll leave that all to you.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Incanto Restaurant and Delicatessen
    The Old Post Office
    41 High St
    Harrow on the Hill
    Middlesex HA1 3HT, United Kingdom

I've got some personal ones that you can't leave any of the info out when sending post.

7. steve23094 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve23094

Just replying to my own thread in case anyone else tries to figure this out.

You can add additional lines (possibly as many as you want, I have tested the upper limit) if you use the OS X Contacts app within Mavericks. Then you can sync this data across to your iPhone/iPad.