How do I add words to autocorrect in Pages 5.6.1?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diaspar, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Diaspar macrumors newbie

Diaspar

I used to be able to add words to autocorrect in previous versions of Pages, but now I can't even find the option to do that. Quite apart from fixing all the words Pages "corrects" because it doesn't know how to spell, it's useful to input my own quick-codes for long words so I don't have to type them out every time. Has Pages devolved so that this is no longer possible? I'm trying to avoid having to buy Word for Mac as well...

2. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

i don't remember autocorrect or text replacements being at Pages level, but i could be mistaken.

anyway, "autocorrect" and "text replacement" is handled system wide, not software specific.

text replacement is found in your Region settings System Preferences / Language & Region / Keyboard Preferences / Text

and to insert words into your user dictionary for autocorrect: Right-click on a highlighted word you want to add, and select Learn Spelling from the contextual menu.

3. Diaspar thread starter macrumors newbie

Diaspar

Cheers! The text replacement is what I was looking for. Pages 4.3 could do it but I suppose not enough people needed it. I do transcription, so I use abbreviations when I type so the word processor will expand them for me. "psl" for psychological" or "npl" for "neuropsychological", for instance. :)