How do I apply a patch with root privilege?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ridingnowhere85, Feb 13, 2009.

1. ridingnowhere85 macrumors newbie

I have an iPatch patch I need to apply with root privilege to an application. iPatch patches are drag and drop, which doesn't apply the privilege, so I think I need to apply it through the terminal. I've never had to do that before, anyone know how?

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If a droplet application needs authorization then it will ask you for it.

but, as iPatch is a program to apply a patch to pirated software I think you might want to ask this question somewhere else.

3. ridingnowhere85 thread starter macrumors newbie

actually, iPatch is just a patch maker, not necessarily for pirated software.

i can't speak for everyone who uses an iPatch patch, but this one is for open-source software, and is used to read other codecs.

i'm sorry if the patch-making software is used for illegitimate purposes, but i can't help the fact that whoever made this patch used this software to make it.

this one needs authorization, but it doesn't ask for it. it needs to be applied with it through terminal. i just need the commands.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

You know, it IS possible to log into the root account directly through the GUI, you just need to enable it with Directory Utility. (Unlock the window and look in the edit menu). Once it's on, make sure you have the login prompt set to NOT display a list of users, and then type in the name "root" and the root password.

Or, are you just moving a file from one place to another? If you are,

sudo mv <full old path> <full new path>

subsititute the file paths where noted.