How do I apply Mail rules?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Miqs, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Miqs macrumors member

Miqs

In the past I have created mail rules to transfer and delete spam emails. Regrettably I have recently been receiving more spam emails and ask if I just select the messages and click on "apply rules" will all these email addresses be transferred and deleted as I want automatically or do I still have to go to prefs/rules and manually select individual each email address to stop it. Thanks. OSX. 10.7.5

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you click apple rules it will apply all your existing rules to the selected messages. Is that what you mean?

3. Miqs thread starter macrumors member

Miqs

Thanks and yes … but I have tried and nothing happens. One of my rules is "stop and delete" (stop emails and delete selected) but if I right click a spam message and "apply rules" nothing happens, it does not delete. These emails are in my spam folder so I can always easily delete them all but occasionally one goes directly into my IN folder and not SPAM folder.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That should work. It sounds like maybe there is a flaw in the rule. Can you post a screenshot of the rule and explain exactly what you want it to do and maybe I can help?

5. Miqs thread starter macrumors member

Miqs

Yes I thought it should too.
    This is the rule with previous stopped spams. (All done individually as they arrived)
    [​IMG]

… and this is where the 11 spam emails are.
    [​IMG]

Would it make a difference if they are in the spam folder? Will the rule only apply to the inbox?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't see why it would matter if they were in the spam folder. I just made a test rule like yours and it works no matter what folder the message is in. I'm kinda stumped.