Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookPro2.4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Hey you guys
im just wondering how to archive format my macbook pro 2,4 ghz with leopard.
I need all my stuff on it and it would take too long to back up on a hard drive, and i heard in a apple store that you can archive format your Mac
but, i dont know how

My problem is , when i click on downloads(folder) my mac somehow gets stuck and crashed (everysingletime) the same happens when i open steam and want to play counter strike ( i use crossover) so i think reinstalling leopard would be the best idea

Specs 2,4GHZ macbook pro, osx leopard with 2gb ram 15,4 inch

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

If you need all your stuff, you should be backing up regularly anyway! Time machine would easily do an initial backup overnight and you are then protected...

MacBookPro2.4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Time machine

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

If you need all your stuff, you should be backing up regularly anyway! Time machine would easily do an initial backup overnight and you are then protected...

if i use time machine for the first time now and back it up, will everything work after i formated my whole disk?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

MacBookPro2.4 said:

if i use time machine for the first time now and back it up, will everything work after i formated my whole disk?

Yeah - one of the options during install is to restore from a time machine backup. Also you get the option to restore a user from a time machine backup during initial setup

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.