How do I archive install OS X Snow Leopard without original discs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mpstrex, Jul 16, 2011.

1. mpstrex macrumors member

mpstrex

Hi,

I don't have the original install discs that came with my MacBook Pro, but I have a copy of Snow Leopard I purchased a while ago. What can I do to perform an archive and install (preserving my files and apps) without the original installation discs?

Thanks,

mpstrex

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If the Snow Leopard you purchased is a disc, then you can use these in place of your original discs to do the archive and install.

3. mpstrex thread starter macrumors member

mpstrex

I apologize, but I forgot to mention one other thing... When I try to re-boot off my purchased copy of Snow Leopard, it doesn't happen. The Apple logo never comes up and it just stalls out until I hold the power button for five seconds to shut my MacBook Pro back down again.

Is it possible to archive and install with some sort of shortcut?

Thanks,

mpstrex

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

The Retail copy of SL probably is not as current as the systems restore version or the version the system is set to. Retail is at 10.6.3 while most machines are 10.6.5 or higher.

You will need to contact Apple for replacement disks or an Apple Store or Authorized Provider to try and archive & install

5. mpstrex thread starter macrumors member

mpstrex

Thank you! If my warranty is expired, will I still be able to get the new copies of the install discs? I don't mind paying for them.

Thanks,

mpstrex

6. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

Yes, if you contact AppleCare they should be able to provide you with a replacement set of discs, most likely for a small fee.

7. mpstrex thread starter macrumors member

mpstrex