How do I assign permanent Spaces to Apps?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by polkunus, Jul 20, 2011.

1. polkunus macrumors member

I have 10-12 applications running simultaneously, how do I assign permanent desktop spaces to each application? I don't want to manually move applications to spaces every time I start my computer.

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'm working on the same thing, I used to like having the 2x2 spaces with certain apps assigned for each... I'll get used to this, especially since it rearranges them based on use, but it's a habit I'll have to break, and it'll be annoying til then

3. polkunus thread starter macrumors member

Wait, wait, so you're saying I can't?

Are you serious? There has to be a way around this... I don't want my OS to tell me how to organize things.

4. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Right click on the app in the dock, there should be an option there to make it open in a particular space.

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Also, though I haven't used Lion, my understanding is that while it rearranges apps based on use, you can turn this off and set the order of spaces.

6. seek3r macrumors 6502

This issue alone (the stupid missing scroll option for my trackpad notwithstanding) may cause me to revert back to SL on my laptop :-(

7. polkunus thread starter macrumors member

8. polkunus thread starter macrumors member

oh wait, this isn't as smooth as I'd expect it to be...

9. seek3r macrumors 6502

Seconded, somehow i missed that option :)

Now, anyone have info for how to:

A)Stop the reloading of all my desktop icons, taking a few second every time I switch spaces as opposed to SL

B)Give me back the ability to have a 2x2 square of spaces?

C)Give me an easier way to manage windows between spaces (move them around and such, like in SL, and every other virtual desktop implementation out there)

/grrr

10. polkunus thread starter macrumors member

+1

11. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

You can drag windows from one space to another (provided it isn't full screen) while in Mission Control.

12. seek3r macrumors 6502

yes, but I can only manipulate the windows *on the space I was on* whereas before (and in every other VD tool out there) I can drag windows from one space to another without any problem, from anywhere to anywhere. Mission control is a *massive* step backward in usability for anyone who heavily uses VDs, and I can't *wait* to see the hell it's going to 'cause for me if I upgrade my *tower* with its 4 screens to Lion. Everything I've seen tells me it's going to be a nightmare on a multi-screen setup!

(Tower's gonna wait a bit though no matter what, it's my main workhorse and the software on it *has* to work, so it gets to wait for Apple to iron out the bugs, just like every OS upgrade)