Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shori

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Heu Guys,

I'm planning on backing up up my laptop for the first time and was wondering whether to go use Time Machine or a third party software like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

I'm backing up so I can reinstall the OS as the laptop is sluggish.

Also how can I just back up:

- Safari & Firefox Favorites ?
- Passwords in the key chain for both of the above ?
- How do I back up the OS Updates ?

I don't want to do a full back up as I think after reinstalling the OS when I transfer stuff back to my laptop, it will make the laptop sluggish like it was before?

Is this right ?

By the way can you transfer stuff backed up using Tome Machine or any of the softwares mentioned above from external hard drive to the laptop or it's only meant to stay in the external hard drive and access it from there ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

surflordca

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Heu Guys,

I'm planning on backing up up my laptop for the first time and was wondering whether to go use Time Machine or a third party software like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.
QUOTE]

Well to each his own. I used Time Machine until it stopped working for me. Others have had good luck with it. Than I tried Carbon Copy. I had the same issues that I had with Time Machine. I tried and than bought Super Duper and love it. Been using it about 6 months now with no issues and I have it set to back-up every day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.