How do I back up my DVDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ravenvii, May 30, 2009.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yes I know, one look at the title, and you don your newbierminator suit. But hold on.

Firstly, my DVDs are my personal home movies, and thus are unencrypted. So that's one less worry.

And secondly, yes I know about MactheRipper and FairMount to rip my DVDs. However, when they rip, they create a TS folder. Great for playing with DVD Player or converting with HandBrake or whatnot.

However, I want to backup a copy, so that I can burn another copy in the future if needed.

How do I do this? Put the folder in a .iso/.dmg file?

2. waffles123 macrumors regular

I believe you can do it with a program that comes with your mac: disk utility. This article tells you how to do it. Basically you create a disk image of the CD/DVD and then you can burn it back on to a blank CD/DVD.

3. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

1.) Insert DVD.
    2.) Open Disk Utility.
    3.) Select the DVD from the left-hand menu. It should appear beneath your DVD drive, in my case it shows "MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868".
    4.) Click New Image.
    5.) Disk Utility will ask you where you want to save the image, and what format, and what encryption. I just leave everything default.
    6.) Click Save, and a new .iso will be created. This can take awhile.

When you want to return later and burn a copy with the .iso, just insert a blank DVD, click Burn, select which image to use and click Burn.

:D Ridiculously easy on a Mac. Right out of the box, as a matter of fact, whereas under Windows, one must use a 3rd party utility...;)

4. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Perfect, thank you!

5. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

You're welcome. :cool: