How Do I Backup Leopard to DL DVD+R?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NDBounce, Nov 1, 2007.

1. NDBounce macrumors newbie

I am in need of some help. I am trying to back up my Leopard DVD to a DVD-DL, with no success.

I think the issue is that I cannot make the DVD bootable. Can someone explain to me what I need to do (including what options I need to select).

Here is what I have tried:

In 10.4.10

1. Open Disk Utility
    2. Highlight "Mac OS X Install DVD" in the left (the lower one - there are 2 items for every drive on my mac, and this always confuses me)
    3. Click "Create New Image"
    4. I name the file "Mac OS X Install DVD" and I select the options of Image Format "DVD/CD Master" and Encryption "None"
    5. I click save
    6. When the image is finished I eject the Leopard DVD.
    7. I then insert a blank Dual Layer DVD
    8. I go back to Disk Utility
    9. I highlight the Mac OS X Install DVD
    10. I click Burn.

I have created two DVD's that appear to be install DVD's, but they are not bootable. I see a lot of posts saying remember to make it bootable, but I don't know how to do this, or even in which step that is done (in creating the image or burning the DVD).

My current suspicion is that it has to do with which drive I am selecting to create the image from, but I am uncertain, and I have been through 2 DVD's already and at $2 a piece, I figure I want to get it right on my third attempt before I create more coasters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. eagle33199 macrumors member

I did it, and encountered a few problems along the way. I have a family pack, and want to keep a backup copy with the software packs i have for each computer (different users/software for different computers, etc, plus i'm a little anal about backups for everything). To ensure the backups worked, i wanted to use each one to install on its own computer. Here are the steps i took:

1. Open Disc Utilities
    2. Copy the disc - I did it with Image Format: Compressed and Encryption: None. You can name the image whatever you want, it doesn't matter.
    3. Once that's finished, pop in a blank DVD +R DL and burn it.

This worked for my first disc (burned in Tiger), and i installed from that disc on the MacBook i was using without a problem. I got excited and spent some time playing then, getting spaces and time machine and everything else set up.

Anyways, the next day i got back on the macbook and started making more copies (using the same disc image) - None of them worked! I went through 6 Discs, all of which failed verification when they were done burning. Confused, i started systematically closing programs and stopping things trying to get it to work. This morning, i finally found the key - Time Machine!

After disabling Time Machine, i was able to burn the DVD's successfully again. Has anyone else experienced similar problems with Time Machine interfering with burning disc images? It seems that when it performs an hourly backup it caused something to go wrong with the burning process...

3. NDBounce thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you explain step 2 & 3 in a little more detail for me, as I have tried this and my disc is not bootable.

Specifically, in step 2 I have 2 choices I can select on the left side. One says 7.5GB MATSHITADVD-R UJ... the other is indented and says Mac OS X Install DVD. Which of these do I select?

(here is a screen shot of what I am referring to, look on the left column)
    [​IMG]

Then, once highlighted, do you just select New Image?

If so, that is what I have been doing. I tried the compressed method the first time and the DVD/CD Master the second. Both times I had encryption set to none.

In terms of point 3. How did you burn the DVD. My issue is that I am trying to figure out if there is a special thing I need to do to make it bootable. Because I don't seem able to do so yet.

What I have been doing is Opening Disk Utility and highlighting the Disk Image I made, and then clicking the burn button. I am never really asked for any options. Is this what you did?

Also I am doing all of this from 10.4.10 (I have not yet installed 10.5 on my machine as I am beginning finals next week, and I feel it will be better for me to do so once I know all my paper are done.

Thank you,

O
    B unce!

4. eagle33199 macrumors member

I don't have mine sitting infront of me, but if i remember correctly i didn't have that same choice - all i had was the 7.5GB MATSHITADVD-R UJ... option with nothing below it... just selected that then clicked on the New Image button.

As for burning, i did the exact same thing you did.

If your computer is having trouble automatically booting from the DVD's, try holding down the alt/option key when booting (before you get the gray loading screen) - that should give you a boot menu, letting you select your DVD drive and boot from the disc.