How do I Batch convert iPhoto and iTunes libraries?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gregintosh, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I started using dropbox (thinking of upgrading to the 50GB plan) and i'd like to move my iPhoto and iTunes libraries to the cloud for permanent backup.

First, I want to consolidate my iPhoto library down, as it's taking up around 38GB.

I was thinking I probably don't need super high resolution photos since I probably will never print most of them, and if I do I probably wouldn't do higher res than 5x7 or 4x6 anyway, and for that I probably won't need more than 3 to 5 megapixels and not 8-12 which many of the photos are.

If I could turn 38GBs into 15GBs or even less that would be phenomenal.

Then, for iTunes, I figure 128kbps or 192kbps is enough. I do like music, but I am just a casual listener who will mostly listen on headphones or at semi normal volumes at home.

I have music and audio from all kinds of sources on there, a bunch of purchased ones, some ripped CDs, some downloads of random crap (including some university lectures).

I really wanted to convert them all to a uniform format, maybe two (one for music, higher bit rate, one lower bit rate). Any good programs out there for batch conversions? I have about 2,500 tracks.

2. Rowf macrumors regular

In ITunes:

Preferences - import settings, change to the bitrate that you want.

Go to your library - Edit - select all.

Advanced - Create (AAC) version.

The lower bitrate file appears below the original file in the library so a batch conversion could get a bit frustrating when you're trying to sort them out but hope this helps.

I'd also back up the originals before going ahead, just in case..........

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd seriously advise against doing this. Back up to a cloud service? Sure. Lowering the quality of all my media to make up for it? You'd never catch me doing that.

If you're dead set on uploading files to Dropbox then I'd stick to just uploading your iTunes or iPhoto library and keep everything at their full quality.

4. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, I will still burn a blu ray backup (I have an external blu ray burner) for permanent storage (just in case someday I really do need to blow up my vacation photos to the max), i also have a recent backup on one external hard drive (which I want to start using for something else soon) in case something goes wrong during conversion.

But for day to day use I see no reason to keep any photos above 5 megapixels (and honestly, probably 3 megapixels is enough for on the screen viewing and 4x6 prints), or Audio above 128kbps (maybe 192kbps tops).

While it would be nice to have both libraries compressed, I suppose iPhoto is the higher priority since mine is 38GB.

I wish there was a program out there where you can just select your iPhoto library, select a maximum megapixel count and have it down convert anything above that automatically.

Anyone know of a solution like this or even close?

5. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

Solved! I found a program that does exactly what I need for iPhoto. It's called iSlimPhoto and it shrinks iPhoto libraries to various desired sizes.

Haven't tried it out yet, but at $9.99 it may be worth a shot.

http://islimphoto.com/

now if they did something like this for iTunes I'd be set. :)

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

If you really, really want to do this (38GB isn't that big these days), the command line tool sips comes with the OS. You may not want to use Terminal, but it's free and easy to use.

To resize all JPGs in the current folder to 3MP (max 2048 horizontal or vertical), you type:

Code:
    sips -Z 2048 *.jpg