How do i block an unknown number

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TSX, Sep 25, 2011.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Ive called att and they said i have to know the number before it can be blocked. Is there a way to block an unknown number from calling me other than iblacklist?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Obviously in order to block a number AT&T has to know the number.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

Weird because with a landline for many decades you could block unknown numbers but we can't do this with mobile lines?

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I have the same exact problem with Verizon, this Unknown Caller calls me 2-3 times a day every day of the week. You pick up and they hang up. Verizon said they cant block it because I am using an iPhone...

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It's sad that my 3 year old, non-smartphone, Samsung Eternity, has that ability and an iPhone can't.

The phone has an 'Auto-Reject' list feature. If anyone calls from a number on the list, the phone sends the call straight to voice mail and doesn't bother me with ringing... a great feature to avoid any 'unknown' callers, rabid ex's, work when I'm on vacation, and those I owe money to/ people who think I owe them money.

Idiotic that I'll have to lose features in order to 'upgrade' to an iPhone... but then, every phone I've owned in the past 10 years had ringer profiles as well.

6. hohohong macrumors 6502a

iBlackList. Still a little laggy, but works like a charm.

7. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

I think iblacklist has to be repurchased every time you get a new iPhone, with the new one coming out so soon it would be a waste to get it now.

8. Krandor macrumors 6502

AT&T does know the number.. the caller ID information is just blocked.

----------

I have actually started giving out my google voice number more and more often then my actual cell number and blocking if needed through google voice.

9. EddyP macrumors 6502

Yes!!! It's quite nice with my home phone to have any number that doesn't show the number blocked. That would be a great thing for a cellphone.

10. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd argue that a missing feature on an iPhone is hardly your most pressing problem.

12. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I don't have an iPhone but isn't there a way to assign a silent ringtone to a number ? And if there is, is that possible with unknown numbers ?

13. ckc macrumors regular

You can't assign a silent ringtone to an unknown number.

What you can do is to individually assign a custom ringtone to each of your contacts and a silent ringtone as the default ringtone.

So whenever a call from a number not in your contacts list calls you will not hear it. The problem is that someone who is not witholding their number but at the same time is not in your contact list also gets the silent treatment.

14. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

The only option is to jailbreak and iBlacklist?

My trial period just ended and it worked perfect, but not sure if i want to buy it. Isnt is around $10? And the point of having to buy it again with a new iphone turns me off too..

Does anyone know any similar alternatives?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can also try trapcall in order to find out the number the unknown call is coming from.

16. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Anyone in tech, higher level, and initiate on the switch to block unknown numbers.

Should the caller be on another provider then their HLR is set to block the outgoing number BEFORE it could reach AT&T's network; thus the block caller id is sent as blocked.

there is a number of calling switches that you may find interesting.

NOTE: not ALL wireless GSM core based providers support these codes, as previously mandated as a requirement by the GSM membership, many have disabled this directly from the user and as such we have to call the provider to enable/disable them (leading to us paying for them).