Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MissyTX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
First of all let me say that I LOVE my iPad and use it many times a day. The problem that I have run into is that my boys ages 6 and 10 want to use it too and I can't figure out how to make it so they can get on it, but not access my mail or Facebook account or even my books in iBooks or on the kindle iPad reader. I know I can restrict Safari, but I use the Friendly app for Facebook. Is there a way to have separate user accounts or password protect only certain apps? We all 3 love playing We Rule, but we have to delete the app and reinstall it each time a new person wants to play. Maybe the iPad was designed to be more of a personal thing, but for us it is a family gadget and I need more than just all or nothing control. Any ideas or is there some way to do this that I don't know about? Thanks :)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
First of all let me say that I LOVE my iPad and use it many times a day. The problem that I have run into is that my boys ages 6 and 10 want to use it too and I can't figure out how to make it so they can get on it, but not access my mail or Facebook account or even my books in iBooks or on the kindle iPad reader. I know I can restrict Safari, but I use the Friendly app for Facebook. Is there a way to have separate user accounts or password protect only certain apps? We all 3 love playing We Rule, but we have to delete the app and reinstall it each time a new person wants to play. Maybe the iPad was designed to be more of a personal thing, but for us it is a family gadget and I need more than just all or nothing control. Any ideas or is there some way to do this that I don't know about? Thanks :)

I've been saying this for some time, or the ability to have more than 1 account so your kids could turn it on, put in their 4 digit code and only have the apps you put on in their space (so to speak)

Unfortunately at the moment Apple see it as a personal device so have not really put this kind of functionality into the device.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Hmm there is a way, but it's unspeakable in here so i can't tell you what is it.

If you are talking about jailbreaking, it's perfectly fine to mention that here. The thing to avoid is talking about cracked apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.