how do i block myspace?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ricecook, Feb 12, 2008.

1. ricecook macrumors regular

ricecook

im try to block myspace but i can still get around it from firefox using google..

how do i complety block it so that theres now way it can be get to from othere sites..
    im using windows xp..

thanks

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

3. ajx22 macrumors regular

Block any unwanted domains in the router firewall.

- (assuming you're running a router; and if you're not - it's definitely a good idea).

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

try asking this question in the windows forum. Too bad you're not trying to do this on a Mac, because it's pretty easy to do on OS X.

5. ricecook thread starter macrumors regular

ricecook

yeah i got a router but it only had the cd to install it..it didnt have like other fetures like the d-link router i had whice i return cus keeps droppin signal..

but anways how would i get to my routers firwall? on windows

and as for do it on a mac can i redo the router set up from my macbook i do have to plug it to eternet to program the router put cd ect..

also do i have to have thoes extra fetures for my router like setting mac address ect..becasue the one i have dont got that fetures..
    i guess i need to update my router:apple:

6. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Setup your router to use OpenDNS. Then, sign up with an account at OpenDNS and block Myspace.com from within your network's dashboard. That will block the domain from everywhere in your network, Mac or PC.

Edit:

You should be able to just type in 192.168.1.1 into your web browser from somewhere on your wireless network. You don't have to be directly connected to the router via an ethernet cable.

7. mediaguru macrumors regular

Which router brand and model do you have? Most routers, with the exception of the Apple Airport base stations, use a built-in web page that would allow you to configure it. Open your favorite web browser (in Windows or Mac OS) and type in the router's IP address. Usually it will be something like

192.168.0.1 or
    192.168.1.1 or

Check the user guide for the exact address. Also, there is probably a default username and/or password. Usually it's something like

username: admin
    password: {empty}

Once you login to the router's config page, there is probably a firewall or possibly a "Parental Controls" section. Of course, you would want to physically secure/"lock up" the router itself if you want to prevent someone from pressing its "reset: button and erasing your settings.

8. ajx22 macrumors regular

What router do you have? (Make/Model)

Most are accessed via entering in the IP address assigned to the router (ie. 192.168.1.1 ) - and then the UN/PW to enter the administration pages.

If your router doesn't have this - then for the minimal cost of a good LinkSys/etc. - you would have this control plus much more.

***too slow in replying***

9. ricecook thread starter macrumors regular

ricecook

i got a belkin G ..the model is F5D7230-4..

is this complated to do for a NOOB like me?

whats a good router to get for under 100$

10. mediaguru macrumors regular

Your router's address is:

http://192.168.2.1

The password is blank by default and there is no username. Once you login, go to the "Parental Controls" section. However, it looks like with Belkin you have to subscribe to a content filtering service. You might want to check that out. Apparently you can try it for 6 months free. Besides the content filtering option, the Belkin will only allow you to block service "ports," but that won't really help you with blocking specific web sites such as MySpace.

For more info, you can download a PDF copy of your router's manual at

http://web.belkin.com/support/download/downloaddetails.asp?download=994&lang=1

11. ricecook thread starter macrumors regular

ricecook

what router do you guy recommand i should get?
    im getting a new one this week and im not good on picking one thats good for filtering/setting up ect..and thats easy for use for NOOB like me..

12. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

sudo -s
    echo "127.0.0.1 www.myspace.com" >> /etc/hosts