How do I blur out something in a video in FCE?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I am making a video and I need to blur a brand name. How do I do that without blurring the whole clip, but just a portion of it? Thanks!

2. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Short answer: With the blur filter and a garbage matte.

Long answer: make a copy of your clip in the timeline, and place the copy above the original clip (i.e. in another video track). Apply a blur filter, and adjust the parameters to your liking. Then apply a garbage matte filter (four point or eight point, depending on the shape of the object you need to blur out) to that topmost clip.

If the object is moving, use keyframes to move the corner points of the garbage matte.

- Martin

3. SHOlover macrumors member

Sure it's a brand name you need to blur out!:rolleyes: It's not body parts is it? JK.

4. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

lol...nope no body parts...

thanks for above...i didnt even know about the garbage matte

5. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

They can come in handy. You probably noticed, but there are two versions: one with four points and one with eight points. So depending on what type of shape you are trying to aproximate, use one or the other.

- Martin

6. VideoTour macrumors newbie

A Headache Avoided

a quick note about Garbage Mattes.. always be sure you apply the matte and set all of your keyframes through the clip BEFORE you do any resizing/basic motion. It is an adventure in frustration :mad: to do otherwise, since your cursor will no longer point to the intuitive matte points (1-4 or 1-8). But these mattes are powerful tools!