How Do I Boot From An External Hard Drive On A PC With The HD Running SL?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pcs are junk, Oct 27, 2009.

1. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

hi, i know how to get sl onto the external hard drive, but i have tried multiple times to boot from it, but it just goes back the windows, i have removed the hard drive from the pc, and the external hard drive and switched them, but still no luck. Can someone please help me! i desperately need to do this! thanks in advance!

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Wait, pc...as on a non-Apple machine. No can do.
    If a Mac, boot holding down option button, choose which partition/HD to boot from and there you go.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Hackintoshing is not that simple. You cannot simply use a Mac to make a booting OS X disc, throw that in a PC, and expect it to work. In fact, that method will deal with hardly any of the problems of getting OS X to work. (You know, like, no EFI, no SMC, etc)

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you get the OS up and running, I'd put it in this case next.

[​IMG]

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Obviously the OP is not clear on the concept.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) In a previous post he admits to being 13, so he knows EVERYTHING. :rolleyes:
    2) He is determined to do something you are not supposed to do, and should not be talking about in this forum as witnessed by prior posts: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=808157
    3) Reported

7. pcs are junk thread starter macrumors 65816

no that was for asking for a website link for a download, this is perfectly legal what i am doing as i am install snow leopard on an external hard drive, then booting the external hard drive on a PC, therefore it is perfectly fine.

8. MasterDev macrumors 65816

To.Many.Commas.

It can't be done the way you want to do it. And if you do it the hackintosh way, it's still technically, "illegal".

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

FAIL

It is against the EULA to run Snow Leopard on a non-Apple PC, regardless of how you install it. You won't get help with it here.

If you want help go to a site like insanelymac where they are more hepful to hackintoshes.

10. pcs are junk thread starter macrumors 65816

Technically, i am not running it on a non apple machine, because i am running the external hard drive, which is running snow leopard, therefore, i also can just buy a time capsule, wipe it out, install snow leopard on it, then boot onto a pc, there, it is running on an apple machine. happy now that i explained every thing to u?

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I doubt that excuse would fly with the Apple legal people. Waste of time anyway since even if you install on an external HD it won't simply boot on a regular PC; you're obviously not clear on what's involved in booting OSx. You'd do better on insanelymac.com since they help people with hackintoshes.

I think the OP is simply a troll.

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Good luck with that.

13. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Umm the machine it is running on is the one containing the CPU that is executing the code.

It is installed on a storage device, that is fine. But connecting that storage device to a PC and booting breaks the EULA.

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Hard drives "run" nothing, they store data.