How do I bridge 2 Wireless Networks?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iNash, Apr 16, 2009.

1. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with this:

I have two different broadband connections at home on two separate phone lines.

Each broadband connection has it's own Wireless Router (1 has a Belkin 54g the other is an Orange Livebox). I also have an Apple Airport Express which is doing nothing at the minute.

What I'd like to do is set up the two networks to be linked i.e. the MacPro on Connection 1 will be able to see the other Macs on Connection 2 and file share the video's/music etc etc...

How would I go about setting this up?

Thanks

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Have you tried connecting to both at the same time, a different wireless card for each?

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's a toughie. I've never seen a home network architecture with two WAN connections before. I'm always hesitant to say something can't be done because the world of computers seems to be out to prove me wrong, but it would be difficult. The one possibility that comes to mind is to have the AirPort Express connect to one network and connect it by ethernet to the Mac Pro. Even then, I think the Mac Pro would only be able to use one interface at a time.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

You can use IPFW to forward and divert packets. You could take a look at that.

5. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

It won't be straightforwad as I'd think both routers would be trying to perform network address translation (NAT).

Why do you need two WAN connections (internet connections) if your going to have all the machines on the same LAN?

6. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

This is done way simpler when all the computers are on the same internet. If you don't mind me asking, what possible use could you have for TWO internet lines in your home? I don't think I've ever heard about it, although if I could afford it I'd do it. One to constantly download huge files, and one for normal internet usage :eek:

7. iNash thread starter macrumors 6502

iNash

One for my internet connection - browsing/downloading etc etc, the other is purely for work (hence funded by them).

I agree having one connection would be ideal but they are both being used really heavily and having one in the past meant I had a very slow connection all the time due to the amount of info going through it for work combined with personal stuff.

Reason for linking the two would be that I have a lot of data on my personal computer that I often need for work and vice versa (stuff like editing videos which I can't do off my Windows laptop :( )

I'm wasting a lot of time in transferring stuff between the two at the moment in a combination of email/USB stick/iDisk and having them networked would simply save time.