How Do I Burn A DVD back To a BLANK DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by walker2010, Apr 10, 2010.

1. walker2010 macrumors newbie

Hello, I've researched this for hours now I can't find a solution!
    I'm looking for a FREE way to burn from a DVD from the store back onto a BLANK DVD!

What free software is out there that can help me?

please give me detailed description! :)

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Did you try searching for "backup dvd?" That turns up a lot of relevant results for me. Try MRoogle as well.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Such a thing does not exist. The only way to reburn to a DVD is if the DVD says DVD-RW or DVD+RW on it. If it does not have the W at the end you cannot ever reburn a disc or make it blank.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I believe the OP is asking for a way to take a rental DVD and make an illegal copy. This is theft and shouldn't get help.

5. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

I don't think the OP has the intent of piracy... from the sound of it, it seems like he wants to reuse the DVD at a later date, but wants the data on it gone.

Since you want free, the only free utility I know of is disk utility.

Open up disk utility, with DVD in drive. Select your DVD drive on the left. Then in the main pane, select the disk, and choose quickly or completely. Read the prompts. I suggest completely. Hit erase and wait.

This will only work if your DVD is rewriteable.

6. rk1991 macrumors regular

I think he is trying to make a copy of a rented dvd which is piracy or a store bought dvd. Because he does say

Which means that he is either trying to burn a rented dvd from a store onto a blank dvd for future use or he is trying to make a backup of his own store bought dvd.

7. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

If the DVD is not copy protected, you can use Disc Utility to make a disc image. That disc image can then be burned to a blank DVD.

8. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Now, I can't endorse piracy, but I've heard you can use mactheripper to extract the video from the DVD onto your computer, then apparently you can use DVD2OneX to compress/ remove bonus material to get it so it'll fit back onto a SL DVD. Usually removing bonus material is enough to get the feature to fit on a SL disk. If you want to keep original quality/ bonus material you can use DL media. Burn with Toast.