How do I burn a DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sharak, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Sharak macrumors newbie

Hello, I just got my first mac and Im used to PC. I am confused how to burn a DVD on mac. I have MacTheRipper, I just dont know how to convert the video files into an image file(which I guess is what I need to do if I want to burn a dvd that will play in a DVD player). I read a post about converting it into cdr and then using text command to convert it into iso... that didnt work for me, and is a little complicated. Any quick and easy programs tthat makes image files and burns the dvd for me?
    Right now, I have IDVD and I cant figure out how to use it heh.

EDIT: I also really <3 my mac hehe, never going back to PC.

2. TIGOS macrumors regular

TIGOS

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

as in.....D - N - D ..........

open toast
    set prefs
    drag N drop the files you wanna burn into the window
    insert disc
    click burn :)

whalah !

4. Sharak thread starter macrumors newbie

Toast 8

Ive seen several mac apps for this. Toast 8, roxio popcorn. My main concern is just to burn playable DVD movies for DVD players. Toast 8 would be best for that?

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Toast is great for burning DVD movies, with the bonus you can use it for most other CD & DVD burning tasks. It is a very good program :)

6. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Can Toast be used to burn dvd movies from Blockbuster? Not that anyone would want to, with it being illegal and all...

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

THEIF!!!

8. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

if you want to do it for free... aside from the cost of the dvd+r dl... then use mac the ripper, dvd imager (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19456) with the video_ts folder, then burn to dvd+r dl with disk utility... if you want to burn to a cheaper single layer disc you're going to need software that compresses the videos to 4.5 gb to fit on such a disc... for this DTOX (http://www.dvd2one.com/) and toast (http://www.roxio.com/) are really good.. they cost money however but will save you in the long run with the cost of blank media being so drastically different between dual and single layer discs

9. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I love it. I thought I might get this kind of emotional reaction. But seriously, does anyone know if this can be done? Just trying to understand the limits of the software...

10. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Neither Toast nor Popcorn will break any encryption in commercial DVDs - they'd be shutdown if they attempted to release such software, due to this nice thing in the US called DMCA.

While Toast or Popcorn can create DVDs that will play on DVD players, they need the source disc/files to be unencrypted.

11. Parsec macrumors member

That's right. Use MacTheRipper to decrypt it. Then you can do whatever you want with it. I use HandBrake to convert the movies to mp4 h.264 encoding. Top quality movies at around 1 Gb in filesize. Playable with Quicktime and VLC. Well, VLC plays about anything anyway.

Later, Parsec.