How Do I Burn a DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lostfan916, Feb 18, 2008.

1. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

So I'm kind of a newbie at this whole burning movies thing, I can rip 'em just fine but I don't know how to put them on a DVD.

So I have this DVD, and it's just a video (it's my friends, it has volleyball clips and she needs me to make copies) basically you just put in the DVD and the movie starts playing, no menu or anything. So I used Handbrake to rip it, and there was one 44 minute .mp4 file. Perfect, now I have it on my HD. Now the only problem is I don't know how to get it to a DVD. I don't want it to be like the file is just put on the DVD, I want it to be if you put it into a DVD player it'll play, like the original. Can anyone help me out with this? I tried iDVD put I had no luck... I don't want there to be a menu, just the movie start playing and I couldn't figure out how to get the menu to go away in iDVD so I gave up.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you still have the original disc, odds are you can pop the disc into your computer and use Disc Utility to make an exact copy of the disc. What you're currently doing is down-converting the video from the disc then trying to upconvert it again which will cause a loss of quality that you don't need to deal with.

If you don't have the disc I believe iDVD will make a "pop in and play" DVD with Magic Movie functionality... or maybe that's iMovie. I know somebody made a thread asking this a few days ago.

3. lostfan916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Thanks for the reply SilentPanda.

I do still have the original disk, I knew you could do this somehow with Disk Utility but I've never used it before. So I pop in the DVD, make a copy of the disk image, pop in the blank dvd and burn the image onto it?

I'll check out that other thread you mentioned.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Yes. Disc Utility is your best bet since you have the original disc and it most likely has no copy protection. You should be able to make a disc image in Disc Utility. Instructions are located on Apples site here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42724

5. scott:mac macrumors regular

6. lostfan916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Thanks worked like a charm.

Now I'm trying to burn Superbad... I tried that way but it didn't work because the disc didn't have enough space.

Would Toast work for this?

7. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Toast is the master of things like this!

It not only has the ability to make an exact copy of a CD/DVD/etc... but also a drag and drop version for video clips! Although it may seem expensive I use it all the time and it has never yet failed me!

If you are not super keen like me you might want a sort of "lite" version, I think its called popcorn it basically is toast but with less features!

Hope this helps!

8. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

the original superbad is on a dual layer disc so you are going to need a dvd+/-r dl if you do not compress it

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It won't work with Superbad also because Superbad is a copy protected DVD. Disc Utility will only copy unprotected DVD's which are typically ones you or your friends have made, not ones you would get from the store.

10. lostfan916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Okay new question.

So I'm trying to burn a DVD (FOB's **** to be exact.) I would like to have the menus and features and all that jazz. I looked online, and I came across something that said use Mac the Ripper to rip the files off of the DVD, and then use Toast to burn it. I did that, but while burning with Toast I keep getting an error saying "an error has occurred recomposing the video."

So, what does this mean and is there another way for me to get past this?