How do I burn DVD to DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skynyrdcrazy, Jul 30, 2008.

1. skynyrdcrazy macrumors newbie

I'm sure this is super easy but I'm having a hard time with it. I just purchase Toast9 - how do I burn a dvd to a blank dvd?

2. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

Based on what you wrote in your post, the process to copy DVD to DVD is a 'copy and paste' sort of thing.

Since Macs (or nearly all computers) only have 1 DVD writer, you have to copy the DVD completely to your hard drive, then burn that data to a disk. Toast clearly has the ability to burn DVDs, but you might need another application to copy the original disk, though check Toast first. If it is a movie dvd that you own, you'll need a program like MactheRipper. Just make sure you're not doing anything in a legal gray area.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If this is a data DVD you have right to copy:

[​IMG]

4. skynyrdcrazy thread starter macrumors newbie

Good information

Thanks for the info on burning dvd to dvd. I did end up installing MactheRipper as I want to burn family owned dvds made from camcorders.

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Then you won't need MacTheRipper. That is used to strip out copy protection from commercial DVDs.

To use Toast, you would insert your original DVD and then under one of the menus (I forget which) you would ("Save as an Image file") on your Mac. Then eject the original DVD.

Now mount the image file thru Toast, click on Burn, insert a blank DVD and away you go.