Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martin S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Brian Clough Way hey hey
I use an iBook G4 & worry a lot about backing it up.
All that music, bank statements & lord knows what lost in an instant if something goes wrong.
So I invested in Intego Personal Backup which is great for backing up to an external drive.
But what it wont do is back up a .dmg file to CDs. It gets half way through & blobs out everytime.
Can anyone recommend something to burn my .dmg file to CDs ? It is 3.5GB.

Best regards Martin.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Also you can download a free backup program to backup to multiple DVDs / CDs called Backup. It is part of the .Mac subscription. You can backup smaller files to your Internet storage and your big backups to DVD / CDs.

road dog

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Toast 7 is the way to go...splits large files and folders automatically across as many discs as you need... each disc has a small 1 MB software tool that can then rejoin the files... prompts you to insert discs. Can take these discs over to any Mac... don't need to have Toast on it to join the files back together.

.Mac is the wrong way to go IMO... you need to maintain your .Mac account in order to restore... fine if you want to pay Apple $100 per year to rent your files.

Martin S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Brian Clough Way hey hey
Thanks for the advice

Many thanks to Mitthrawnuruodo, BornAgainMac, dubbz & road dog.

I appreciate you all taking the time to give me some advice. I have succesfully used Split&Concat, and I'm looking into Toast, which seems mighty sophisticated.

My problem is solved !

Best regards, Martin.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
.Mac is the wrong way to go IMO... you need to maintain your .Mac account in order to restore... fine if you want to pay Apple $100 per year to rent your files.

Your thinking is flawed.

A person is not renting their files, they are purchasing the use of storage space and other services for 1 year, kind of like a luxury storage building.

When a person rents a house it is considered renting a house and not renting everything inside the house you already own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.