Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheeseisgreater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Not sure if this is the right section but...

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 running Catalina (patched by dosdude1's installer to work on my unsupported Mac). Initially, I was having problems with my GPU which led me to install OpenCore as per the suggestion of a forum user. I ended up solving my GPU problem without OpenCore so I formatted my partition (to APFS) and installed Catalina normally.

Currently I have Windows installed on another partition. My drives are as follows:

Physical disk 1: Macintosh HD (Contains OS) Windows HD (Contains OS)

Physical disk 2: Windows HD 2 (No OS, for extra storage)

Physical disk 3: Macintosh HD 2 (for extra storage, formatted APFS) Windows HD 3 (for extra storage)

When I boot my Mac holding the Option key, I see:

"Windows" "EFI Boot" "EFI Boot"

Windows boots up Windows 10. Both EFI boot options boot up Catalina and I have no idea why they display this way.

In Startup Disk on Catalina, I see "Mac OS" and "Windows HD", which is exactly what I would expect my boot loader to look like.

In Startup Disk on Windows 10, I see "Windows HD", "Basic data partition Windows" and another "Basic Partition Windows". If I click any of the latter two, it boots up in Catalina.

Last edited:

Les Lariz

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
Pismo Beach, CA
Have you tried to do an NVRAM reset? That seemed to fix it for me once but I have since encountered the problem
again and NVRAM reset does nothing to fix it. Were you able to resolve this some other way? Let me know, please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.