How do I change mail.app as my default mail application?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Luke1robb, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

The title pretty much says it all, just trying to change my default email app from mail.app to gmail... is this possible? What other ways could I do it, if it isn't?

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Do you want...

When you click a mailto link in safari, a new window would pop up with (web)Gmail ready to go? (I don't think you can)

Instead, you should be able to configure Mail to work on your Gmail account.

3. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

That's what I was hoping to do, but how would I do the second... is Mail.app really that good or useful?

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Open Mail and create a new account with your GMail info.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

"Really that good?" is a subjective opinion. But I do find Mail.app excellent for offline access and integration.

Offline access is obvious, you can move and store email to your HDD, access them without internet.

Just like everything else, integration is a big advantage in OS X. Mail interfaces with just about everything:
    - stores/pull email address from Address Book (with sync with iPhoto/itouch)
    - works with Time Machine, so TM backs up your deleted emails
    - integrates with iCal, so you can generate appointments based on information in emails
    - sync with Mail.app in iPhone/iTouch
    - all emails indexed by spotlight for fast searches

6. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Thanks for all the help, it truly was helpful... and I am truly repetitive.

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Be sure to take advantage of the free IMAP in Gmail if you haven't done so already!

8. charliex5 macrumors regular

maybe I'm just stupid, but if I read an email on my iPhone, mail.app doesn't update the status to read. Is there anyway to make it do this? It's the one thing that has always held me back from utilizing the app.

9. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

POP3 doesn't support that feature. IMAP does. If your email provider supports IMAP you'll need to switch to using IMAP to do what you want.

10. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Good news, Gmail has free IMAP. That's why I said you should take advantage of it! IMAP will keep ALL your Mail in sync anywhere you access it (that is, if you have it set up properly).

First you must log into gmail.com to enable the IMAP feature. Once you're logged in, click on Settings. Then click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab. Enable IMAP. Then Save Changes.

Ok, now you're ready to set up your Gmail on your Mac and iPhone. Honestly, I would recommend you just erase the accounts on both your Mac and iPhone and start from scratch following the steps in these guides provided by google. It will make things easier.

Just click on the Apple Mail 3 guide (or Apple Mail 2 if your on Tiger) and the iPhone guide and just follow the steps. You'll be checking your mail like a pro in no time! :D