How do I change Preview to Acrobat Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by calryx, Jun 8, 2008.

1. calryx macrumors newbie

"Is there anybody out there" that can tell me how do I change the Preview from being the default app to Acrobat Pro 8 to open pdf's? I've got Acrobat to work in the browsers (Most of the time, but it still rears its aggravating head from time to time), but when I download a pdf I have to use Preview (default) and its the only one listed as Acrobat does not even show up. Apple support told me that it was not possible but that has to be BS. They are usually right though, I just hope that they are wrong in this case.
    Thanks.:confused:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Right-click a .pdf. Choose Get Info. Choose Open With, then Other, then Acrobat Pro. Once you're back at the Info window, choose Change All and confirm. Voila!

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

You could try control clicking on the PDF you want to open, then select "Open With". If it's not listed, then there should be somewhere to search for the application. That should make that the default application to open them from there on out. Hopefully that works.

EDIT: Dang Tallest Skil, you beat everyone in posting first! (Forum Spy FTW!)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In Finder, right-click on a .pdf file and select "Open With" and select "Other". In the window that opens, select Adobe Reader in the list of applications and then check the "Always Open With" box at the bottom, before clicking OK.

LOL... I type SO slow!

5. calryx thread starter macrumors newbie

Geez Loueez

You guys must have been looking over my shoulder when I was typing. Try being a little more prompt with your replies next time (LMAO).
    Thanks much.

6. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

We probably all three use the Forum Spy. (I know I do and most likely Tallest Skil does)

We can look at posts as soon as they are submitted. It's pretty neat, try it out!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Awwww! You spoiled it! And I was just gonna say how we're all clairvoyant! :D

8. calryx thread starter macrumors newbie

I answered my own question by accident

Thanks everyone, I also stumbled on an answer. imaketouchtheme thanks for the spy info "BIG BROTHER" (JK) I was a little worried at first being lisdesic and all, I thought your name was imakethemtouchme instead, DUH. Well anyway here's what I found in case there are more maroons like me out there. Maybe I should change my name to Max Smart.
    cal :eek: :eek:

In Mac OS X, how do I assign an application to open certain file types?

Mac OS X allows you to choose which application on your computer is assigned to open certain file types with common filename extensions (e.g., .pdf, .jpg, .tiff, .mp3, .mov). This is useful, for example, if you want a file with the extension .pdf to be opened with Adobe Reader instead of the Preview application. Files created in the Classic environment, which often do not have a filename extension, may also be assigned to open with an appropriate Mac OS X application using the following instructions.

Note: The instructions below, which change the file's icon in the Mac OS X Finder to reflect the program which will open it, will have no effect on the type or creator codes which may be contained in the file itself. For more, see In Mac OS and Mac OS X, what are file types and creators?
    Mac OS X 10.2.x and later

1. Select the file in the Finder by clicking it once. You can also select multiple files by holding down the Shift key while clicking additional files, or dragging your mouse across a series of files.

Note: If you're choosing multiple files, make sure they are all of the same type (e.g., all .mp3 or all .tiff).
    2. From the File menu, select Get Info.

3. In the Info window, click the triangle next to "Open with:" to expand that section of the window.

4. From the pull-down menu that appears, select the application you wish to use to open the file.

Note: Not every application listed will open the file as expected. Make sure the application is appropriate for the type of file with which you are working.

If you would like to change the application to open all similar file types, click Change All... . You will see a confirmation dialog box asking if this is really what you want to do. Click Continue.
    Mac OS X 10.1.x

1. Select the file in the Finder by clicking it once. You can also select multiple files by holding down the Shift key while clicking additional files, or dragging your mouse across a series of files.

Note: If you're choosing multiple files, make sure they are all of the same type (e.g., all .mp3 or all .tiff).
    2. From the File menu, select Show Info.

3. In the Info window, from the pop-up menu, select Open with application.

4. In the square pop-up menu that appears, choose the application to open the file.

Note: Not every application listed will open the file as expected. Make sure the application is appropriate for the type of file with which you are working.

If you would like to change the application to open all similar file types, click Change All... . You will see a confirmation dialog box asking if this is really what you want to do. Click Continue.
    Mac OS X 10.0.x

2. From the File menu, select Show Info.

3. In the Info window, from the pop-up menu, select Application.

4. Click the radio button next to A specific application. In the square pop-up menu underneath, choose the application to open the file.

If you would like to set the default application that opens all files of the same type, in the Info window, under "Application", click the radio button next to The generic application for documents of this type. In the Choose Application window that opens, select the program you want to make the default application.