How do I change the Finder icon in SL?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Corrode, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Without Candybar!

I've searched high and low in these forums and on Google, but can't seem to find a way to do this without an app. Can someone please tell me or direct me to a thread that will tell me.

Thank you.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I haven't done this personally, but if I had to guess...

Go to your hard drive > System > Library > CoreServices > Finder. Right-click, choose "Show Package Contents". Go to Contents > Resources.

The Finder's icon should be saved in here as "Finder.icns". I'd recommend making a backup copy of this file, and then put the replacement icon in its place with the same name -- "Finder.icns".

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

The above how-to is similar to mine except that you won't have to mess about with the Finder's package contents: locate the Finder.app following the above steps. Then instead of going into its package contents, click on Get Info. Leave the info window open for now. Then locate the icon/folder of your choice. Right-click it and get info. You should have two info windows open now: one for Finder, one for your preferred icon. In the latter window, highlight the thumbnail image on top, then command+C. Then command+V into the thumbnail image in the Finder info window. Voilà!

4. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Thanks for the help guys. Do you have to restart your computer after you do this? I would, but I've been having wireless problems when I restart, so I'll be waiting for a couple days before I restart. I'm assuming it'll change in the dock once I do that.

5. kostia macrumors regular

If I recall correctly, using Get Info will change the Finder's icon in the Dock, but not its icon in the app switcher (command-tab). CandyBar has the same limitation, so I always go into the package and change Finder.icns there.

You don't have to restart. Quitting and relaunching Dock.app (you can do this from Activity Monitor, a script, or the terminal) will do it.

6. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Hey, so I did a restart and it didn't work. The finder icon in Core Services is changed, and so is the .icns, and they both show the new icon, but the dock remains the same. Anyone know where to go from here? I would appreciate it!

7. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Just open terminal and type killall Dock

Enjoy your new icons!

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I think you have to change this one:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/finder.png

...Maybe. Try that.

9. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Hey, I appreciate all the replies. Changed that last one suggested and still nothing after a restart. Anyone got anything else? Surely someone has done this without an app!

10. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Okay, I figured it out because it's the solution to another problem. Do all steps before, then last step:

In the Finder, do this:

1. CMD-Shift-G
    2. Type in "/private/var/folders" without quotes
    3. Click through folders until you find "com.Apple.dock.iconcache"
    4. Delete that file
    5. Logout or kill the Dock

Hooray! Take that Candybar!

11. ndiniwacho macrumors newbie

Thsi didn't work for me. If I "Get Info" for finder or go through system - library etc. the icon has changed but not in the dock. Any ideas?

12. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If you do replace the icon file for it, remember to repair permissions just in case.

13. ndiniwacho macrumors newbie

I've tried everything, that little blue face is now taunting me. Who's tried this and it actually worked?

14. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

What do you people have against the Finder icon?

15. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Dude, the Finder Icon is so 2008.

I have done this and it worked. That's why I posted it. Make sure you change all the icon locations with an appropriate icon file with the same extension. (.png, .icns) Then follow my list of steps in my last post.