How do I change the iMail Photo!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mikebike125, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

A friend of mine recently bought a new iMac and unfortunately turned it on for the first time and wasn't ready for that initial picture it takes of you. :eek: That picture it took is now attached to all her emails and she ain't happy :mad:

How can this picture either be retaken turned off or changed??

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Open Address Book in Applications.
    She will probably be the only entry there.
    Go to Edit- Edit Card (or Command+L).
    Double click the picture. She will be able to choose another photo, or take another one, or erase it altogether.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The picture isn't sent with her email it is only used on the machine to act as a visual identifier.

4. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

She said when she sends email the picture goes with it..... Is that how it works or.... I am not sure where the picture stays or is displayed. When I send email from my mac at home to my Windows computer at work the picture does not show up so I'm not sure about how it is used.

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

If the picture is on her address book card....I know that people who mail to other users of Mail.app....will see the image.

My mom has a Red Sox logo as her picture and every time I get an email from her I see the logo at the top right of the email message (in the same pane as the To/From fields).

-Kevin

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Not true. Other Mac users using Mail.app WILL see that picture when they read her emails. Windows users will not (in most cases)

She needs to go to System Preferences -> User Accounts and change her account picture. That should take care of it.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I believe she is getting confused as when you view the sent messages the image appears there so it can seem as if the image is being sent with the emails.

You can get her to send an email to you and you can confirm it for her

Mail does not send an image with every email. You can view the raw source and see it doesn't. You can also tell by the size of the email, if the image was sent the size of a text only short email would be a lot higher than it is.

Also it is quite easy to check. Set up a new account on your computer and set up mail with an account in that. Then check to see if the image appears in that. It doesn't.

If you really want to thoroughly test set up address book with that new account and add an image to it and then send a return image.

8. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Ah shoot....I hate it when I'm wrong :mad:

You are correct, Mail.app is simply reading the image stored in the Address Book. I removed the image in address book and the messages in Mail.app also had the image removed.

-Kevin

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Wow!
    iMacs take a photo of you at first start?
    Does it then send it off to Cupertino's database?
    Weird.
    :confused:

I'll stick to Mac Pro and a cameraless monitor.

What else does it *snap* while you use it?

10. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

That's quite astonishing! Can I tell it not to do that?

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is very confusing and it is very convincing to the end user that the image is actually sent/recieved by the emails.

When you first set up the computer it asks you to choose an account image. This can be through the built in isight camera or from the stock set of images (cats, dogs, balls etc.) This is a once only event. The image is saved to the address book card for your contact.

12. limotagaro macrumors newbie

Although your remarks are very interesting, I am still having this problem and I cannot delete the photo either from the address book or from my account. I don't know if my photo is sent every time I send an email, but I don't like to see anything at my application. Any more clear suggestion?

P.s.: I tried to delete the photo from the address book but I cannot delete it. Either pressing the delete button or from the menu.

Thank you all.