How do I change the iPod mini icon in iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DopestGingah, Jul 17, 2007.

1. DopestGingah macrumors regular

My sister just gave me her old pink iPod mini to stay in my car. I ordered a new battery and new silver housing. When I connect my iPod mini to the computer, iTunes shows it as being pink like it should. I know this is not necessary (it just bothers me), but would it be possible to change the icon to a silver iPod mini? Or somehow go into the iPods files and make it think it is silver? Any help or am I going to have to deal with it?

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Correct me if I'm wrong somebody, but I highly doubt this is possible unfor.

3. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I did a small bit of research for a similar thread a couple of months ago. Another user had "pimped" a nano, and wanted to change the nano's graphics. The graphics for the iPods are not kept in any image files. I can only speculate that iTunes has the pictures encoded in a DLL or DAT file of some sort, and sends back the picture data that corresponds to your iPod's model number.

You'd have to change that model number internally in the iPod's firmware to change how iTunes responds to a request to "show the picture of this iPod". Don't ask me how; I'm not a hacker or modder, so I wouldn't have the first clue.

4. DopestGingah thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm that seems like something I do not want to get in to. If it was some picture I could swap with, then maybe. My friend has a silver mini, so would it be possible to somehow copy the firmware and change it on the pink one?