How do I change the name I used during setup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bamabww, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Bamabww macrumors newbie

Hello, just got my first Apple computer last Friday and so far so good for a PC ex-owner for 20 years. During the original setup of my Mac Book Pro, without thinking about what it would do, I used my full legal name to "name" my computer. I noticed somewhere yesterday while looking through the computer a statement similar to this: Everyone will know your computer as "Billy's Mac book Pro." (paraphrased I'm sure.) I never use my first name unless required to do so on a legal document signature etc.

Is there any way to change that to my middle name that I use all the time and the one everyone knows me by?

This forum has already been a tremendous help to me and I hope to be able to add to the discussion soon.

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you mean your Computer Name (System Preferences > Sharing > Computer Name) or your account name? The latter is not visible via the network, the former is.

3. Jordnbeats macrumors member

4. Bamabww thread starter macrumors newbie

To tell the truth, I don't know enough yet to know. Thanks for the path, I'll try that when I get home.

5. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I'm wondering if doing this will cause your Time Machine to think it is attached to a new machine. Thus requiring you to re-back up everything and losing time-machine backup history.

6. Bamabww thread starter macrumors newbie

That worked! Thanks for your help.

----------

Don't think that will be a problem now, I've only had the computer turned on for about an hour and have not installed anything except a recommended upgrade to Lion. Appreciate your concern though.

7. simsaladimbamba

That will not be a problem.
    Time Machine FAQ