How do I change the name of an application on my Jailbroken Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Jack Flash, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

For instance, if I wanted to change the 'Mail.app' to read 'eMail.app'

2. dagored macrumors 65816

I have changed the name of apps I have installed, through SSH, but the MobileMail.app might be different. It shows up as Mail on the Touch. I looked in the app and did not find anything called just "mail" .

That is a good question, I too would like an answer.

3. Jack Flash thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, in all actuality the apps I want to change were installed via Installer, namely iSolitaire, Tris, weDict and gpsPhone. (To Solitaire, Tetris, Dictionary and Gameboy)

4. dagored macrumors 65816

You can do that. I even put version numbers after the names. Especially when I am demoing an app.

5. jbarr macrumors regular

Just be aware that some applications REQUIRE that they be named as-is, otherwise, they may fail to run or execute properly. I believe Installer.app is one such app. I recall someone on another thread who renamed Installer.app to AppStore.app, and afterwords it wouldn't run.

6. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Yep, that happened to me, name it back to Installer.app and its fine though. There is a way to change the name of a app on the SpringBoard without changing the name of the file itself by adding something to the info.plist file of that app, not sure exactly what to do though.

7. diamondjimbo macrumors newbie

OK but how about changing the name of my calculator? I've figured out SSH, but when i go to the Apps folder, find the Calculator folder, and change the name of the App (to, say, Calc2), it dies when I launch it again. Can someone step me through? mobile finder didn't work, i am on 1.1.4 thx