How do I change the password for Wi-Fi on a Verizon Wireless router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by messyjesse, Oct 2, 2012.

1. messyjesse macrumors newbie

I'm sure somebody out there knows the simple yet evil trick I'm up against, I just hope I can find them. Thanks for your help.

I'm trying to change my password for my Verizon wireless router, and can't seem to get anywhere. I've gotten as far as typing in the router number in the address window of a web browser, that takes me to what looks like the correct page...but am I am unable to login in as:

user: admin
    password: password

It seems that the problem is related to glitch where everytime I type the password, a regular occurring and inaccurate extra amount of characters are entered. Roughly 2 - 3 per letter. As in, when I type password, the password window registers about 17 characters typed instead of 8. I've tried copying and pasting "password" but instead it pastes in 9 characters. If I hit delete once, it deletes 2 letters.

Please help!

2. neal5 macrumors newbie

Alright, so you typed in the IP of your router (most likely the 192.168.1.254) and it brought you to a Verizon Router login page, where you cant log in :confused:

What Brand / Model is the router?
    With the router, did you get a manual?
    Did you ever set up a password or are you only guessing admin/password?
    Ever tried to get a hold of Verizon tech support?

Let's see if that is going to help you:
    http://www22.verizon.com/support/re...rking/troubleshooting/questionsone/123899.htm :D

If you think you know the right log in, but it still does not let you log on, I'd try to factory reset the router.

Good luck.

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

You seem to want to change the router password, not the Wi-Fi password (which can be different). I can't access my router now, but I seem to remember something like what you mentioned, with my ActionTech router login ... it seemed like it would put in two characters for every one I typed. But password entry still works for me -- so I wouldn't focus too much energy on the "double-character" oddity.

I'm guessing you have an ActionTech router, maybe for a FIOS connection?

neal5's helpful link includes this info for the common MI424WR:

4. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

its normal for that to happen when typing in the pw. anyway try... admin / password1

5. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

i'm assuming you have the Actiontec something-or-the-other router that came along with the service? i have 3 of those and they all give me that password textbox issues. here was my solution:

- type your password (in this case "password") into Text Editor/Notes/Word and paste into text box
    - at this point there's probably more text in there than you just pasted
    - click on the text box and the number of characters should revert to what you pasted... or move the blinking text cursor around with your arrow keys

let me know if that works

6. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

verizon stopped using admin password1 over a year ago. look on the back of your router there usually is a sticker there now that has your router log in info.