How do I change to a new external HD with Time Machine without losing anything?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TortoiseAvenger, Feb 27, 2008.

1. TortoiseAvenger macrumors newbie

:confused: Ok, maybe I'm an idiot... but this isn't obvious to me and it seems like a simple matter. I started using time machine on a given drive. I want to upgrade the drive I'm using. How do I start using a larger, new hard drive without losing information on the old HD? I have read that if you keep both connected, time machine will leave the old files alone on the old HD, but I would rather move everything over to the new, larger HD so that I could remove the old HD from the machine completely, as if I had used the larger HD all along. How do I do this?

Thanks,

Tortoise

2. TortoiseAvenger thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Sorry I couldn't find this out either. I replaced my 250 Gb drive with a 500 Gb drive but couldn't figure out how to save what was on the 250 .. :mad:

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

connect them both to your mac and drag the backup folder from the old one to the new one? Any reason that wouldn't work?

5. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I did this, I think with some help from some posts here.

Make sure both drives are connected & then launch Disk Utility. Click on one of the drive names in the left column (the main drive icon, not a sub-icon) & click the Restore tab across the top (far right). Then drag the icon of the older/smaller drive to the Source field & the icon of the new drive to the Destination field & click Restore. I found it worked best with Erase Destination checked, which is not a problem with a brand-new drive. When this is done copying & verifying (at least 2-3 hours!), the new drive will have the same name as the old drive.

Then rename the old drive & then open the Time Machine preferences & make sure it knows to use the new drive.

6. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

+1. I did this exactly and it worked beautifully.

7. zirngast99 macrumors newbie

Works smoothly. Thanks a lot!